buy Imac now or after new year?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Been thinking of getting an imac for a while to replace our dying g4 1.2 laptop. Managed to keep it alive by replacing dead keyboard off of my older g3! That said, my computer skillz are indeed limited, I don't need a whole lot, but don't want to buy right before an upgrade hits. The imac top line got the nvidia chip,should I wait till the new year for any trickle down? I shoot and scan film(gasp!) so I don't need much, but looking to upgrade to epson v700-maybe 750 scanner, scanning medium format images anywhere from 50mb to over 100mb files and want to be able to flog them in photoshop. Was thinking of the 2.66 2gb 2600, would that be plenty for my needs?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The Macrumors Buyer's Guide shows the last update was 8 months ago. Many people think an update will come at Macworld in early January.

Reaction score
I just went through the same thing. I said the heck with it, and purchased an iMac now.

Reaction score
Macworld is almost upon us, so if you can put off your iMac purchase until after then - I'd suggest you wait. If you cannot wait for whatever reason, go for it - it won't be the end of the world.

Reaction score
How many still uses G5 iMac's?. Its not like you NEED to have the better and the latest.

If you are really in the need, get it now, its not like the upate is gonna bring much, LED screen and maybe the new intel's, nothing really life changing.

If you can wait till macworld, then do it, probably you can even get a better deal on this generation of iMacs.

Reaction score
I think i would hold off on it until next year. I always want the latest and greatest, even though in a couple of months it will no longer be the case, but whatever, im gonna wait for the new iMacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I would hold off because even if you dont purchase the new ones you can get a great deal on the previous generation one which is the current one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mmm. What could they put in the iMac at MacWorld?

There's nothing new until Core i7 mobile chips become available.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll wait. Even if whatever changes aren't much, I'd hate to think that a few days could have got me that little bit more, or paid a little bit less on the "old" model (although they never do throw much of a bone, $100 off or so) Too busy to even have much play time on the computer anyways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.