I have TONS of questions :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
I would like to say thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. I am getting a Macbook 2.4ghz for Christmas. Can't wait for the Mac experience!

1. I am getting a Western Digital external HD 500gb to use for Time machine. Will I be able to use it for other things as well as use it for Time Machine? The Macbook's HD is 250gb so can I use the other 250g for whatever I like?

2. I am in the market for an external monitor. Looking for a 22-24 inch. Is their any monitors out there that are REALLY great that are under $400 you would recommend?

3. When I buy a monitor is there an input that I should be looking for? Like HDMI? I would like to get the most out of my monitor. Does it make a difference which input I use?

4. I am looking into buy the Logitech VX Revolution (The Mx revolution doesn't fit my hand well and seems a little big). Does anywon have this mouse and do you like it?

5. Upon getting my new macbook I would like to have a complete copy of my 80gb HD from the computer I am replacing (Windows) due to the fact that I don't know what all is on the HD and would like to have a copy just encase. Can I do this with the 500gb WD HD that I am buying and still use it for Time Machine and be able to access the files on a different windows computer? And maybe even on Parallels?

6. When getting my new Macbook I would like to also add about 20-30 movies onto it. When getting these onto my Macbook with Handbrake should I wait awhile between each movie? I really don't want to mess up the Disc drive.

7. Also when I get parallels on my Macbook can I get a virus using windows? And should I download Virus Protection Software? Any recommendations?

8. Also When buying a monitor What are the best specs? Do I want low or high response time? And I am guessing highest resolution as possible? And what contrast ratio do I look for? Anything else I should look for?

9. I was going to buy a usb hub off ebay. Bad idea?

10. Are there any good wireless headphones any one recommends?

If you are still Alive after reading all this thank you for any input! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1. you could always partition the drive and give say 350 to time machine and the rest for anything else, Time machine does incremental back-ups so you may need more than 250 gig

3 the macbook uses DVI - which is the same signal as HDMI anyway

5 you could use that second partition mentioned earlier in 1 to store windows files from the old laptop

7 . the paralells installation of windows is just that, windows running on your intel mac, as such it is prone to malware, but any infection cannot cross over and effect OS X

9 nothing wrong with any standard USB hub

That's the only questions I feel able to answer, have fun

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I really appreciate it!

kny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz 8GB
Just picking up on your Western Digital external drive question, I thought I'd bring something to your attention.

I have a 1TB WD My Book World Edition and TimeMachine won't recognise it, therefore do a bit of research on your particular model to see whether it's going to be compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you formatted that WD drive to HFS format, Time machine cannot use FAT32 or NTFS formatted drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
I have a 500 GB My Book home edition and it works flawlessly on my mabook 2.4 with firewire and usb. But on my iMac, it only recognizes it as usb. Very strange.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I will do some research and make sure it works. Thanks! Anywon else have any answers :D?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
3 the macbook uses DVI - which is the same signal as HDMI anyway

DVI can be adapted to use HDMI. The new Macbooks have a different video port, call "Mini DisplayPort", so you have to find the appropriate cable. Apple has two different cables, one for the 30" monitor. I believe another adapter on top of that would be required to use HDMI, at least until someone makes a single adapter like that.

7 . the paralells installation of windows is just that, windows running on your intel mac, as such it is prone to malware, but any infection cannot cross over and effect OS X

Windows on a VM can affect Mac folders if you have set them up to be seen. So if you share out your home folder, malware can read or destroy those files.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for alot of your comments guys! It really helps :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.