Posting from my new Mac Mini!

ped

Reaction score
I just brought home my new Mac Mini 1.42Ghz/80GB machine! It's so tiny! It seems to run pretty well for only 256MB of RAM. Just installed the Kensington mouse software for my wireless mouse (got the wireless Apple keyboard, too!). The mouse was losing connection after only about 15 seconds of inactivity and it's irritatiung so I'm hoping the drivers fix that.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I wont be getting a Mac mini, I'm saving up for something more powerful... >.>

Congrats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
Very cool! Did you get it at the Apple store or thru the mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Congratz Yo! Interesting sig wvmac, hype.it had that for a while :alien:

OP
P

ped

Reaction score
nbn22385 said:
wow cool! i would love to see pics of your setup.

OK - here it is!

Here's the new Mac, surrounded by a new Maxtor external 300GB drive, my Windows game and other app CDs, and with headphones plugged in for music (no speakers for it yet):
DSC01727.JPG

Here's the Mac using my Sony 21" CRT as its display (my PC in on input 1 and the Mac is on input 2):
DSC01728.JPG

And finally here's a closeup pic of the forums screen and my Mac desktop:
DSC01729.JPG

:cool:

OP
P

ped

Reaction score
wvmac said:
Very cool! Did you get it at the Apple store or thru the mail?

Everybody was out of them - Apple Store, CompUSA, Target, Fry's... but I got lucky and MicroCenter had them in. Snagged it there.

Thinking I'm gonna order a replacement memory stick. Can I get away with 512MB or must I go to 1 GB? I figure that with 256 at least half that was being used by the OS after boot, so going to 512 is really tripling my available memory (1/2 of 256 being available normally is 128MB, so adding another 256 is three times as much). I looked at some prices and it seems the 512MB is about $120 or so, and the 1GB is like $350 or more. That's crazy talk! :bone:

BTW - Anyone know how to change the Home and End keys to do what they do on a PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Outstanding! Wonderful to see! :alien:

OP
P

ped

Reaction score
ped said:
Everybody was out of them - Apple Store, CompUSA, Target, Fry's... but I got lucky and MicroCenter had them in. Snagged it there.

Thinking I'm gonna order a replacement memory stick. Can I get away with 512MB or must I go to 1 GB? I figure that with 256 at least half that was being used by the OS after boot, so going to 512 is really tripling my available memory (1/2 of 256 being available normally is 128MB, so adding another 256 is three times as much). I looked at some prices and it seems the 512MB is about $120 or so, and the 1GB is like $350 or more. That's crazy talk! :bone:

BTW - Anyone know how to change the Home and End keys to do what they do on a PC?

A little help here?

OP
P

ped

Reaction score
What I'm interested in is for text editing. Like say I have a paragraph of text. And say I'm in the middle of the paragraph, and the middle of a line of text. In Windows if I hit End the cursor jumps to the end of that line. If I hit Home it jumps to the beginning of that line. If I hit CTRL-Home it takes me to the beginning of all the text (before the first character of the first line), and if I hit CTRL-End it takes me to the end of all of the text (after last character on last line).

On experimenting just now while writing this I discovered one way to do it on the Mac. Holding the Apple key and using the arrow keys moves the cursor like I want. Apple-Up does what CTRL-Home does, Apple-Down is CTRL-End, and Apple-Left and Apple-Right do what Home and End do. Cool. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.