New Macbookpro User!

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a solid member of many forums and contribute daily. I have exciting news, my old man has brought me the new macbookpro for christmas so i've decided to prep up for the change to osx by joining this here forum!

First question is - will i ABSOLUTELY love leopard? Obviously it depends, but i'm so excited i need some people to tell me how its changed their lives!

also, is there any cool software i can start searching for?

Thanks guys, Merry christmas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
I've been a long time PC user, and using a Mac really depends on how much you want to get out of your OS. I've used many operating systems (Windows 98, 98SE, 2000, XP, Vista, Mac OS X Tiger, Leopard), and I would rate Leopard as the best. I don't understand these "buggy" things people find with Leopard, I love it. Lots of people criticize Vista, but the 32-bit versions work with even some of my programs designed for Windows 95! If you're coming from using Windows (regardless of if you like it or not) and you already have copies of programs you like, there's no reason at all to buy versions of them for your new MBP. Get a copy of Vista (I'd recommend 32-bit Home Premium, very compatible) and a copy of VMWare Fusion 2. You can run Windows programs right in the Mac OS which is really nice and convenient. I've used a few versions of Office for the Mac and would recommend getting a copy. Home/Student Edition is $150 (3 licenses). 2008 is VERY confusing and hard to get used to at first and I was ready to throw my MacBook out the window the first few days. Once you get used to it though, you'll love it. It even has features you'd find in Publisher. All Macs come with iLife '08, which is awesome although iMovie isn't as good as it used to be for some movie-making situations. All in all, you'll LOVE your MBP. If you're coming from using lots of Windows programs (like me), get a cheap copy of 32-bit Vista Home Premium and VMWare Fusion. If not, then just get Microsoft Office 2008 Home & Student Edition (which I'd recommend either way if you do or don't get Vista and Fusion).

Hope that helps! Good luck with your MBP! Happy holidays!

OP
T
Reaction score
wow, TJ.
Thankyou very much. A lot to think about!
Luckily ive used fusion on windows for linux tests etc. i think its a worthwhile purchase.

again thanks, happy xmas!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Get a copy of either "Switching to the Mac" or "Leopard OS X" in "The Missing Manual" series by David Pogue. The first one costs a little less and has most of what you need to know.

Amazon link: Amazon.com: Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition: David Pogue: Books to the first book

Amazon link: Amazon.com: Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual: David Pogue: Books to the second book

Extremely well written books on making the transition.

I honestly cant pimp that book enough! Its jst a great addition for any Mac user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I have been using my new MBP for almost a year, and I love it! There's always something new to learn. I have been playing with the idea of changing my major to Graphic/Web Design. I don't everyone to be of the same mind, but I do think that most people who use OS X/Mac to be utterly impressed with it's creativity and functionality. Good luck, new users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.