What do I need to play windows games?

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what I need for Boot Camp. I've got the latest (I think) mac (OSX?). All I want is to be able to play windows games through boot camp. Preferably new games with high performance.

I seem to need a windows start up disc but what is that? Should I get XP or Vista? Vista seems pretty pricey.

Can anyone help me a bit? Thanks. :D

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Louishen, am I better getting XP or Vista though? Does XP work fine or should I get Vista to play the best games? I don't want to waste money on Vista if XP does the same thing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For gaming XP by all means. Only issue would be if the game needs Direct X 10 which only Vista has, but XP is faster overall with the games I have tried anyway.

What Mac do you own? Can you give us the specs of your Mac?

OP
S
Reaction score
Sure, I don't know a whole lot so ill just type out what it says on the box.

24-inch
2.8GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor
6mb shared L2 cache
2GB of 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM; Supports up to 4GB
320GB Serial ATA hard drive1
Slot-loading Superdrive (DVD...)
ATi Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics processor with 256 MB of GDDR3 memory

Will this play the latest windows games well? Once I get a start up disc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iMac should be able to play all the latest Windows games. Note what dtravis7 stated about DirectX 10. If you purchase a game that requires DX 10 you will need to install Vista otherwise XP will be fine.

Be sure you read the requirements about which version of XP or Vista will work with Boot Camp.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.