Extend menu bar (and dock) to second monitor?

Reaction score
Hi! I have an external monitor hoocked up to my macbook and it's irritating having to bring the mouse back to the primary monitor (to use the app's menu bar) when the app is running on the second monitor.

On Windows there are apps to extend the taskbar to a second monitor, is there such an app to move the menu bar (and eventually the dock) to the second monitor?

Many thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In display preferences you can choose the external monitor to be your primary monitor by dragging the menu from the MacBook internal to the external.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you can only have the menu bar and dock on the main display, unless you mirror both displays, but I guess that's not what you want

OP
I
Reaction score
that's a shame! I was hoping there would be some piece of software that could do that like MultimonTaskbar for Windows.

Many thanks to you all for your answers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 5,5
Sorry for the necro-bump, but this is still relevant as people are finding this topic from Google searches.

The app you're looking for is called Secondbar. It's free and it's a near-perfect replica of the Mac OS menu bar.

As for the dock, there are less complete solutions available. I have not tried these myself, but I am aware of Dragthing, Dock-it, Dock Spaces. The first two are alternative dock apps that have multiple monitor support. The latter uses the Spaces feature to display multiple docks, but only one can be visible at a time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You beat me to it Chas. I've been using that for a while now and love it. Came in real handy when I had two external monitors connected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.