iMac or G5? Need help switching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
The two I'm comparing (that are in my price range)

$2,399.00

1.8GHz PowerPC G5
900MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR400 128-bit SDRAM
Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
SuperDrive
Three PCI-X Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

------------------------------------------------- or

$2,348.00

17-inch widescreen LCD
1GHz PowerPC G4
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
64MB DDR video memory
1GB DDR266 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K V.92 internal modem
Apple Pro Speakers
AirPort Extreme built-in
Bluetooth built-in

I can't decide which one I should purchase. The G5 is probably the faster one. But the iMac has the built in Monitor and it looks soooooo coool!! I'll have to use my current monitor for the G5 since apple charges a grip for their monitors. My monitor is a big 17". Not big as in the screen area but it's got a big butt.

Anyways, I hate trying to decide!

So main questions!

1.) Speed comparison, are they pretty much the same?
2.) Software Compatability, is there a difference between the old 32-bit and 64-bit when it comes to compatability with Software?

Thanks!

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
sKaD said:
The two I'm comparing (that are in my price range)

$2,399.00

1.8GHz PowerPC G5
900MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR400 128-bit SDRAM
Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
SuperDrive
Three PCI-X Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

------------------------------------------------- or

$2,348.00

17-inch widescreen LCD
1GHz PowerPC G4
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
64MB DDR video memory
1GB DDR266 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K V.92 internal modem
Apple Pro Speakers
AirPort Extreme built-in
Bluetooth built-in

I can't decide which one I should purchase. The G5 is probably the faster one. But the iMac has the built in Monitor and it looks soooooo coool!! I'll have to use my current monitor for the G5 since apple charges a grip for their monitors. My monitor is a big 17". Not big as in the screen area but it's got a big butt.

Anyways, I hate trying to decide!

So main questions!

1.) Speed comparison, are they pretty much the same?
2.) Software Compatability, is there a difference between the old 32-bit and 64-bit when it comes to compatability with Software?

Thanks!

sKaD

1.) No, the 1.8 G5 is a obviously a faster machine, though it might not be very noticible in certain applications, especially with the iMac's additional Ram.
2.) There shouldn't be, unless an application is specifially written for use on the G5 platform (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

As far as the choice goes, a lot depends on what you plan on doing with the computer. The G5 is the more powerful and capable machine (and what a machine it is! :D ), but then again, the iMac includes the 17" flat panel display, Airport Extreme and Bluetooth, and certain software applications that might be useful to you (e.g. AppleWorks). It all depends on the emphasis you place on certain features/aspects. I don't think you can make a poor decision either way.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I'll be using the mac mainly for school work. I'll have to do some photoshop and other graphical work. Plus I'll need Word Processing and such also. The iMac is awesome, it's winning me over just by the look of it!

But if the G5 is just "barely" faster than the iMac then I'll probably go with the iMac. But I don't want to come around later wishing I had baught the G5.

The G5 will have Blueteeth (only thing I need since it'll work with my cell phone.)

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I think G5 or eMac. If you have a price range, go with the eMac its just as fast only cheaper. (though the iMac has a nice LCD which is really cool!)

The G5 is not just 'Barely' faster. This thing can cook along at quite a pace. You will notice a HUGE difference from a G4 1.42 ghz to a G5 at any available speed. Dont get me wrong though, the G4 is a quick processor.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
As it was stated before. This decision should be based on what you plan to do with the hardware. Also the price point you are working with is important. You mentioned you would be using photoshop. Both platform would work will with photoshop. You may not notice a different until it is optimize for the G5. But what is comes down to is getting the most bang for the buck. It is best to buy as much as you can afford, and plan for future grow. Just my nickel. :)

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Well those are the two I can afford. And they are pretty much the same price. So either will work for my budget and I'm sure both have the same amount of power to do the things I want to do.

And I'm really leaning towards the iMac but if the G5 is SOOOO much greater at speeds and such I'll go for it. But the iMac just seems more perfect for watching DVD's, Burning Music, Surfing the web and even Photoshop, word processing, etc..

I think I'll end up getting the iMac unless someone can convince me the G5 is better. I don't know what all the hype is about.

sKaD

p.s. Thanks for the replies.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
WoW,

Just looking at this thread (one of my first, or maybe my first?) Anyways, I wanted the iMac sooo bad, but CompUSA only had the 15" one :p

I'm so happy I got the G5 though :D I wouldn't trade it for an iMac :p

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i saw this thread and thought you were getting another one i was like what the heck is goin on

I

itchyduck

Hopefully you will bear with my lateness into this issue, but I had a similar dillemma as yourself.

I am a PC user, switching to Mac, for the first time. I've a few friends who use Mac, and have exhausted them with all of the research I've floundered upon their desk.

What I'm looking at is either a dual processor G4 (1.24) or a single processor G5 (1.6). Right now I am leaning towards the G5, because of the upgrade possibilities in the future.

My main focus for using a computer is illustration, graphic design, digital photography (very lite digital photography, at that), web design, and internet browsing. Minimal if any games (just not a gaming kinda person).

While it would seem the G4 would go faster now, the G5 is barely out of the factory and therefore has not had the lapsing time that it takes for upgraded processors to come out. On the other hand, by the time hardware upgrades are ready for the G5 1.6 to play "catch up", the costs involved with upgrading the machine would likely be nearly on par with just buying the newest "thing" outthere.

Oh Apple, why won't you just sell motherboards and processors? ::sigh::

My question I'd like to ask is which do you think would be the better buy: G4 at dual 1.24, or G5 at 1.6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
G5 1.6 is what I would take. I doubt apple will find any problems with the G5 that need to be installed in every g5.. I think you will be fine with the First Generation G5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.