I need help using mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
I have owned my mac for 2 weeks now and I have a hotmail account so I didn't bother with mail but now my mom wants me to set up an account for her and I have no clue how to make a e-mail for her or to set up the account on mail. and also do you have to pay to use mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can get all that information from your Internet Service Provider. Most ISPs provide email free as part of the service.

OP
mgsfan18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
You can get all that information from your Internet Service Provider. Most ISPs provide email free as part of the service.

I used my ISP e-mail account but I don't know how to set it up because I have no clue what an outgoing mail server is

Reaction score
Just go to gmail.com or yahoo.com then set-up an account for her, then go into mail, and go to set-up a new account, or just open it and it should give you a prompt to do so if you haven't opened it yet, so then just type in her e-mail address and password click OK or continue, whichever is there and it will set it up for you. Just did it yesterday, got my mac two days ago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I used my ISP e-mail account but I don't know how to set it up because I have no clue what an outgoing mail server is

First of all...

does your mom already have an e-mail address or is she looking to create a new one?

OP
mgsfan18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First of all...

does your mom already have an e-mail address or is she looking to create a new one?

She wants a new one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Mac Book Pro
Okay so she wants a new one and your using your ISP? Sorry I'm a little confused. If you have setup one on your ISP for her post who your ISP is and I'll be glad to go and find your outgoing mail settings for you. If you havent made her one yet I would suggest just setting her one up on gmail. Gmail is nice and easy to understand and if she's using mail it sets up real easy as mentioned earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She wants a new one

Okay so you have some choices then.

If she wants to use her ISP you need to tell us which ISP you have.

If she doesn't mind which one then you can register for a Gmail account.

If you choose Gmail go ahead and sign up for an account here. After that is all done look at these instructions and it should tell you step by step how to set up mail to receive your messages.

Apple Mail 2.0 - Help Center - For OS X Tiger

Apple Mail 3.0 (Leopard) - Help Center - For OS X Leopard

OP
mgsfan18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay so she wants a new one and your using your ISP? Sorry I'm a little confused. If you have setup one on your ISP for her post who your ISP is and I'll be glad to go and find your outgoing mail settings for you. If you havent made her one yet I would suggest just setting her one up on gmail. Gmail is nice and easy to understand and if she's using mail it sets up real easy as mentioned earlier.

Okay so you have some choices then.

If she wants to use her ISP you need to tell us which ISP you have.

If she doesn't mind which one then you can register for a Gmail account.

If you choose Gmail go ahead and sign up for an account here. After that is all done look at these instructions and it should tell you step by step how to set up mail to receive your messages.

Apple Mail 2.0 - Help Center - For OS X Tiger

Apple Mail 3.0 (Leopard) - Help Center - For OS X Leopard

she wants the e-mail from our ISP which we have but have never used before and our ISP is $2.95 Welcome to 295.ca - Canada's Most Inexpensive Unlimited Dialup Service and DSL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
mgsfan18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
mgsfan18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.