Windows word on Mac?

Reaction score
Ok, so today I was talking to my friend who has some Macs but he now switched over to windows (why would he do that? I have no idea) and he said I could use MS Office 2007 windows cd on a Mac, is that true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ok, so today I was talking to my friend who has some Macs but he now switched over to windows (why would he do that? I have no idea) and he said I could use MS Office 2007 windows cd on a Mac, is that true?
Only if you have an Intel-based Mac that has Windows installed on it.
And even if you did, you would still have to install it under Windows and could only use it when you are running Windows.

OP
T
Reaction score
Alright, well I have no intentions of running windows (i LOVE OS X now) and I don't have the programs to do it anyway or the copy of windows :D

OP
T
Reaction score
My friend has an extra copy of Word 2007 and iWork 08 Word is for $40 and iWork for $20, which should I get?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Alright, well I have no intentions of running windows (i LOVE OS X now) and I don't have the programs to do it anyway or the copy of windows :D

You can run Word for Windows via Crossover, without having to install Windows.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is crossover free?

Crossover is a pay-for, commercial product that is a derivative of an open source project called "WINE". Crossover mainly adds a better user interface, greater degree of control and official support, whereas DarWINE (the Mac version of WINE) is more of a community project, with little support.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My friend has an extra copy of Word 2007 and iWork 08 Word is for $40 and iWork for $20, which should I get?

I would download OpenOffice.org 3.0 and give that a spin before you buy anything. I like OpenOffice better than many of the commercial products out there - and you can't beat the price (free).

OP
T
Reaction score
How much is crossover? Is it available locally? Would I just be better off getting iWork or Office for mac for 40 or less or getting crossover? MS Office is the only program I have payed for on windows

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
I have neo office, is that good enough? Also, Onyx says my disk needs to be repaired and to start my mac up with the install discs but I just got it yesterday, why would it need repairing already?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have neo office, is that good enough? Also, Onyx says my disk needs to be repaired and to start my mac up with the install discs but I just got it yesterday, why would it need repairing already?

NeoOffice is another version of OpenOffice, but I find the actual OpenOffice package to run quite a bit faster.

As far as the disk repair goes, that does seem odd. Have you needed to forcibly turn your Mac off without doing a proper shutdown?

OP
T
Reaction score
No I haven't. You mean by freezing? No, it has been running smooth as ice, fast and stuff, I have restarted after updates but that is it, and that was not forcibly. I had my MacBook off for the night without the charger plugged in and while I was at school. I don't think it should make a difference though, right?

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh, also, in windows would loop my playlist in iTunes, on Mac it doesn't, how would I get it to that? I can't find it in the preferences. Also, how do I take vids with the iSite? And which software is good for screen capture?

OP
T
Reaction score
Another Q, I don't want to start a new thread, so, I just recorded through photobooth with my iSight camera and there was no sound, my speakers work fine but I am not getting any sound...?

Reaction score
I would download OpenOffice.org 3.0 and give that a spin before you buy anything. I like OpenOffice better than many of the commercial products out there - and you can't beat the price (free).

I downloaded Open Office on an iMac recently. Every time I opened it, something called X11 would open first and there was always a long delay before I could open a file within the program. It was almost as if the computer was locking up for a brief while.
I just switched over to a Macbook Pro, and would like to use Open Office, but it sure would be better if I could simply click on the icon and have it simply open, without all the extra steps.
Did I set it up wrong?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.