dock/desktop

Reaction score
ok so i just bought a new 13 in macbook. this is my first ever mac and im still adapting to it....i am getting confused with the dock/desktop....i downloaded firefox browser and like when im on it it has a firefox icon under my mac hd icon on the top right. well sometimes i have have to right click and eject for it to go away....and then ill put an icon on my dock....well after browsing i click quit firefox and the icon goes away...i'm so lost....i dunno when to quit somethin or when to just click the red x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You haven't installed it. Double click on the disk image (the dmg) then drag the icon to the applications folder. Launch it from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Also to keep something in the dock hold down the bar till the menu pops up
it will have keep in dock among other list of things.

OP
B
Reaction score
another question i have.....on how do you "right-click" with the trackpad....? An stuff just keeps disappearing off my dock for some reason.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Or you can enable "Right-Click" from your system prefs. Then all you have to do is put you fingers on the track pad and click. Its the easiest way imo.

Reaction score
another question i have.....on how do you "right-click" with the trackpad....? An stuff just keeps disappearing off my dock for some reason.....

There are a couple of ways to do this. The first way is to press COMMAND while you are clicking. The other way, which is what I do, is to go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES, and then set the preference so that tapping with two fingers would give you the same right clicking options.

ok so i just bought a new 13 in macbook. this is my first ever mac and im still adapting to it....i am getting confused with the dock/desktop....i downloaded firefox browser and like when im on it it has a firefox icon under my mac hd icon on the top right. well sometimes i have have to right click and eject for it to go away....and then ill put an icon on my dock....well after browsing i click quit firefox and the icon goes away...i'm so lost....i dunno when to quit somethin or when to just click the red x.

This is what happens when you download something, like an application, from the internet.

1. An icon will appear on your desktop, that is kind of like "set up" in Windows. Click on that, and you will have another icon popping up somewhere on your desktop as well, that's the disk image.
2. Click on the second icon, and a window will probably pop up with the icon of the application inside. Drag that to your APPLICATIONS folder. If you want it to be in your DOCK, drag it there too.
3. Then, EJECT the disk image after you have dragged it into the APPLICATIONS folder, and then delete the "set up" icon from the desktop. Now you can use the application without those things popping up again.

And as for your other question:

When you close an application in Mac, you do not quit it. It just makes things easier for you later, if you want to open it again. That is why you don't click on the X to close the application, if that is what you want. Press COMMAND and Q to quit the application completely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.