MB or MBP owners: Which do you believe is enough for music production?

Reaction score
I'm a soon-to-be college student in the field of music production (I am a very musically inclined person).

I would like to know if the MB or the MBP would be the best bet. Is either or too limiting, or overkill?

Thoughts, experiences? Thanks a bunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 4th Generation 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2048 MB RAM OS X 10.5.7
I'd say a MacBook Pro honestly, the processor speed will really help and the sound on it is much better. Added screen space is always good too :D

I'm a person who does recording as well so I've had no issues with my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz macbook, 2gb 10.4.11, 2.4ghz macbook pro 4gb 10.5.1
honestly, the on board sound probably won't be in use. I'd still go with the pro simply for the added bump in processor power, because that's what's really going to matter in the end. I have found the pro to be better overall than the macbook original in terms of latency issues as well. Seems to handle intense edits better, and has better aesthetics!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (4gig, 250 H.D. 7500 rpm) White Macbook (1 gig, 80HD), I-Pod Touch (16 gig)
i have recorded on both. i started on my Macbook with my M-Audio external drive. i ran my guitar/mic/midi trigger/hampster through my digitech GNX floor unit. so i had the proper equipment to make it sound good.

i have switched to a Macbook Pro since then, but i use mine for constant recording.

the on-board sound shouldn't be used on any computer. if you are running your mic or guitar through like a mic jack, there can be interference when your fan turns on. you should get an external either firewire, or usb device...

anywho, like i said, either will work just fine.

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 13" MacBook
I have the MacBook and it's just enough. Would definitely go for a Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
Definately go Mac Book Pro if you can afford it. I went with the pro mostly for larger screen, processor, and firewire.

Reaction score
Remember that all the graphics enhancements take more load off the CPU and therefore provide a boost to sound processing as a side effect. There are lots of little things about the Pro that add up to sigificant increases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0ghz santa rosa
you pretty much have to go with a pro now for the firewire. I run pro tools, Logic, Reason 4, on my late 2007 macbook with no problems at all. I"ve got 2gb's of RAM and will soon be going to 4. The 13 inches is small to me but thats why I bought a Samsung 22" inch monitor. For the little work I do at home my macbook is fine, I will go pro one day. But for now I use my school's studio. I am in audio school also. But if you have the money go Pro, but I get by fine with my macbook. But I would not buy the new macbooks because of the lack of firewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
Also, a must is to buy the faster harddrive. ALWAYS get the faster harddrive option when available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.