• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Possible $599 Apple netbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
"It is too much to ask consumers to pay more than twice as much for a PC in these times," the analyst says.

Instead, he and TBR are confident that Apple will release a computer in the netbook class within the first half of next year, but one that doesn't obey many of the rules dictated by the industry. Like the MacBook Air ultraportable, this future system would be at least as thin and light as others in its category but would potentially have a larger surface area to allow a larger display or more comfortable input. Netbook owners carry their systems "in stacks with papers and books" and care more about thickness than footprint, according to Gottheil.

AppleInsider | Economy, opportunity seen leading to $599 Apple netbook

I predict a duo style laptop or an eMate done right.

I personally would like to see the duo brought back, maybe even with a similar dock style mechanism comparable to the original duo docks.

More probable is an modern eMate with touch screen. This would lose the trackpad entirely, which would save a lot of space and make its higher price based on the smaller size. USB is always an option for a mouse if the touchscreen does not work with some people.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
There was an article in Macworld about this. Steve Jobs said they have some good ideas if the netbook market takes off. But im not sure it has taken off quite yet.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i would totally buy one.

OP
Strimkind
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
Its the new trend and I think Apple could easily start it off and lead the market. If they were to use the power of the Apple brand to push this, people would be flocking to get it, and it would be their new iPod.
They need something new as the iPod market is pretty much saturated, desktops are not in the highest of demand, and laptops are always selling.

I see a big hit.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i would totally buy one.

Me too, but not if it commands too much of a premium over a Linux-powered netbook.

I guess my only concern is how badly it would poach sales of the MacBook Air, since the Air is so much like a netbook already (albeit much more expensive).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I can't wait until an "official" version comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
We don't talk about hackintoshes here I think.
Still I'd buy this notebook if it was released as a companion to my imac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We don't talk about hackintoshes here I think.
Still I'd buy this notebook if it was released as a companion to my imac.

Well, we don't endorse or assist with anything surrounding the Hackintosh scene. But the mere statement of fact that one possesses a Hackintosh wouldn't constitute discussion of illegal activity, which is our primary concern in terms of enforcement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad. I didn't mean to offend. I'll edit the post.
Dave

Reaction score
I would love to see one of these as well. I think that Apple could do a netbook "right" just like the iPod and iPhone. If they did a model I think it would sell well.

Reaction score
I'd buy an Apple netbook for $599-$699 with the following specs:

1st: I don't care a ton about thickness, forget about the MacBook Air. I'm fine with a 1" thick netbook.

2nd: Ram upgradable to 4GB. 1GB Standard.

3rd: Full version of Leopard. No limitations.

4th: At least 4 hour battery.

5th: A good number of ports. At least 2 USB.

6th: 64GB SSD for an additional $300 or less. 80GB HD standard.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Me too, but not if it commands too much of a premium over a Linux-powered netbook.

I guess my only concern is how badly it would poach sales of the MacBook Air, since the Air is so much like a netbook already (albeit much more expensive).

yeah, but the air really isn't that much smaller than a regular macbook. the length and width of a netbook definitely would lend itself to even greater portability and perhaps a different audience than the macbook (standard or air).

the linux issue is one i'd think about for win v. linux, but i'd definitely pay a small-ish premium for OS X. i wonder if snow leopard, if it is a stripped down version of leopard proper, wouldn't be a perfect match and perhaps keep prices down too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
The idea is great and I believe there will be a huge market, but for somewhere around $600-$800, Canadian. Its all great when the US can say $700 bucks but here, now, thats close to $1000, which is easily MB price.

Would I buy one? No way. But Apple could make quite the amount of $ if they did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
For some of us the I-Phone satisfied my wants for a netbook
but I realize others have different needs its just a question of
how many people will purchase one as to be cost efficient.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, but the air really isn't that much smaller than a regular macbook. the length and width of a netbook definitely would lend itself to even greater portability and perhaps a different audience than the macbook (standard or air).

the linux issue is one i'd think about for win v. linux, but i'd definitely pay a small-ish premium for OS X. i wonder if snow leopard, if it is a stripped down version of leopard proper, wouldn't be a perfect match and perhaps keep prices down too.

Agreed. This is just me trashing the MacBook Air as a horribly poor value in its current incarnation ;)

Apple must make a fortune on these things....

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, it's a weird product. definitely more form > function. it's like it wanted to be a netbook, but missed the mark. with all the people moping about the loss of the 12" powerbook and the distinct possibility of being a netbook leader, you'd think they'd be concentrating on footprint rather than "thin".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
funny i just ran into this topic.

i own 4 mac computers but i had wanted a netbook size laptop for so long that i purchased a MSI Wind and made my own about 4 months ago and it runs everything perfectly except mic input did not work. i was even running XP with VMware fusion.

however it just didnt give me that Apple feeling when i used it. i don't know how to describe it but although it ran nearly as well as my black 2.0 macbook and had 6 hours battery life, 3 USB Ports, 2 Card Readers, and a real VGA out i just didnt feel like i was using a Mac in the same way i did when i use my Macbook or iMac.

i now have it for sale and went yesterday and bought the new 2.4 macbook and am much happier with it.

the netbooks are fun and if you hook them to an Apple monitor, keyboard, and mouse you can get that OS X feeling but it is just missing something.

i realize that sounds odd but i bought the Acer Aspire One, EEC PC 1000h, before landing on the MSI Wind and it just didnt feel the same with any of them.

i hope that it was just the fact that it wasnt an apple product and that when/if Apple decides to go in that direction that they are able to give it something more like they have with their current products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Its probably the crowed keyboard as a survey was done along time ago showing the overwhelming majority felt a 12 inch netbook/laptop was the
smallest size for both comfort and portability while not straining the eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Mac Book Pro
Selling a netbook would only make sense for Apple to do. The economy is a recession and people are going to be holding back on spending. They are going to start thinking Apple products are too much money and would buy a cheaper non mac just to save the few hundred dollars. I believe Apple is beginning to realize this as we see the 3G iPhone price reduced from the original and now selling it for $100 at Wal-mart. I know I would buy a netbook from Apple if it was in the $600-$800 range so I could save money. It would have to come with the same support and OS as a normal MB or MBP though or it wouldn't be worth it. I think for Apple to surive the next few years they might have to start selling things cheaper. Even if they use slightly older dual cores in the netbook and move everything else up to quad core to save money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same thing here. Running a Dell Mini 9 via the Type11 OS X install method. It is extremely fast and everything works as good as or better than my previous MB 2.18Ghz. Still, it just isn't quite the same. One benefit though was that it's so stout and quick, I can fearlessly leave it in my freezing car overnight and boot it straight away in the morning on the way to work. I ended up buying a new MBA anyhow because it just feels better when I'm doing "real" work related stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.