Changing the name of "Home"

Reaction score
Is there any way I can change the name of my "home" folder. I tried to do the get info and when I type in the name I wish to change it to, it tells me that I can't modify it because it is required my OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your post does not say what OS you are using which makes answering your query a little perhapsish. If Leopard, you can make that change under Accounts, earlier systems not really.

Have a look at this link:-

Changing the name of the home folder. - Mac Forums

OP
S
Reaction score
The above post did not work. I'm using the latest Leopard since I just got a brand new MacBook Pro. In the accounts screen, my name is what I want it to be. When I go to my "Home" folder. it is smcgil9899 and I want to change it to another name.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is strongly suggested you leave it as is.

It still cannot be done 'and' have everything, personal settings, etc. still the same when you are finished. But if you insist, try this. There are three tutorials there. And when you're done, best go to their forum for help on fixing it. Think personally, would rather do an erase & install than to try and fix all the stuff that it more than likely will break.

edit: and you'll need to make sure you follow directions specific to your version of OS X, e.g. 10.1, 10.2, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.