Why a mac?

Reaction score
I have heard a lot that macs are by far the superior choice, I am just wondering what makes it the better choice?

What are some of the best features mac has to offer? I am seriously considering buying a mac mini.. I just wanted to know what was so good about them.

Thanks a lot,
Michael

Reaction score
Simplicity, and they just work.

Overall, Mac OS X is the easiest operating system to use. It also tends to be a more stable OS, with far fewer problems with virus/adware threats. If your looking for a stable system to check email, surf the web, and use office applications, the Mini Mac is the best system out there to meet your needs.

Hardware is typically better as well, just because everything is made by apple, or closely monitored by Apple, so everything is supposed to work. I just ordered a system, and as far as I know so far there are going to be problems with the video card drivers. nVidia/Apple have yet to get it straightened out after a few months of trying. If they don't fix it within the next couple weeks, it will definetly tarnish that "near perfect" image of Macs that I currently have.

F

falltime

I have heard a lot that macs are by far the superior choice, I am just wondering what makes it the better choice?

What are some of the best features mac has to offer? I am seriously considering buying a mac mini.. I just wanted to know what was so good about them.

Thanks a lot,
Michael

First of all, Macs are not better, they are different.

They are what is commonly called a proprietary platform (opposite of open-source), meaning only one company owns the hardware - it's conception, design and construction is a standalone program exclusively run by Apple. It does outsource fabrication however, to companies like IBM and Motorola.

Proprietary technology does hold its advantages over open-source, but it also assumes several serious disadvantages, many of which crazy Mac-heads conveniently seem to overlook. These are generally the same people that complain about the Windows registry, viruses, and Spyware :rolleyes:.

PPC (Proprietary PowerPC) vs. Open-Source PC:
Pros:
1. Probably the most important advantage is it's stronger Support Base
2. PPC is much more optimized for specific Apple proprietary and PPC exclusive apps (i.e. FCP, DVD Studio Pro, iDVD, etc).
3. Common amongst most proprietary platforms is the significantly smaller market base vs. open-source, making it much less of a target for malicious programs such as viruses and spyware - however, this isn't an issue for those who take the steps to educate themselves on how to avoid these problems.
Cons:
1. PPC incorporates newer computing technology MUCH slower than open-source
2. Much slower/weaker driver support for Non-Apple Hardware (video card drivers, etc)
3. Slower in terms of GUI response; cross-platform application performance; portable, dynamic language/interpretation program performance (Java, Flash, etc) and last but not least: games.
4. Much more expensive
5. Much more expensive upgrades
6. Very limited upgrade possibilities
7. Limited customization potential

As an ironic side note: Being very involved in the Apple Tier 2 Technician Community (the guys that provide Tech Support for Apple Technicians) I've come to notice that 90% of them use PCs instead of Macs at home... funny eh? It is of course the complete opposite in the Tier 1 (low-level tech support) Call Center.

Maybe that says something.

Anyways, all in all, it really all comes down to what you're into, and how much experience you have with computers.

P.S. In my signature I have the specs for both my G5 and my PC. My PC is easily 2x faster (somtimes more) in everything but video editing and cost a 1/3 of what my G5 cost.

Desolate One said:
Why Dell?

Umm, Dell doesn't make PCs, they make landfill material..

so...

Why say Dell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I mostly agree with what you say (though I'm sure a few Fanboys will start flaming soon) except for 2 things:

1. PowerPC is the processor architecture, initially developed by Motorola, IBM and Apple, but not only used by Apple. It's not the designation of the Apple hardware as a whole. IBM uses PPC processors in lots of other applications, without Apple or Apple's OS and software being involved in that.

2. Open-Source PC: There is no such thing. It's open technology PC. open-source applies to software, a PC in itself doesn't have a source code that could be open.

And, by the way, Windows is a proprietary OS...it just benefits of it's huge market share. And, at the same time, suffers from that market share.

D

Desolate One

The only reason I pose the equally inane question of "why Dell" is becuase most people that have to inquire "why Mac" are those very consumers that purchase "landfill material".

Honestly I don't see any reason to make the switch if you're perfectly content on a PC. It's a waste of energy trying to convince someone over. They always have some sort of stupid comeback, "I can't get any software for Macs" being my favorite. Besides, most people don't appreciate the time and effort that goes into designing such a machine or the OS for that matter.

F

falltime

)(* said:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13206

the point of me making that thread was to stop the flooding of threads like this one.

but either way, welcome to the better world.

In response to the thread you posted -

Tiger is going to be the hugest OS X release for us video editors thus far because of because Core Video.

Apple is really fighting to institute their video editing platform as a serious competitor of a Professional Avid system - at a much cheaper price.

It should be a while before we see any third-party or inherent video API similar to Core Video on Windows\Linux.

This should bring any of the remaining PC editors over to Mac.

... So as far as Video editing is concerned Tiger is what everyone is waiting for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
A very important distinction between Mac OS X and Linux and Unix is the core. Here it's the kernel and control the root or admin user. In Windows, it's the registry, and this is indefensible. Worms edit the registry at will, modify, add and delete registry keys. This is why the endless chase for virus scan can never end and the fight for spyware is so frustrating. My switch was a tanker load of relief! :alien:

G

gdestiny

michaelmjc said:
the mini, its awesome.
i'm surprised how well the mac mini performs, given its specs. i have a P4/2.8GHz/1GB/6800GT XP rig and was afraid the mac mini would be slow compared to that. but the mac mini is actually quite responsive.

it just goes to show you what you can do when you optimized the OS for a specific set of hardware.

T

Thud

michaelmjc said:

Thanks a lot,
Michael

For me it's the form factor and overall usefulness of the mini. Mine is on order... due to ship by 3/1, ugh.

OSX looks very nice, the mini won't be my primary machine, but it will make a great media server, general work box, and portable-everything-doohicky. I do plan on getting under the hood of OSX a bit too.

I didn't buy one expecting it to be as fast as my windows desktop. Then again, if all I ever did with my computers was run benchmarks, what's really the point? The mini is definitely the fastest, most capable machine you can get for its size, at any cost.
There are small form factor PC's that come close, but don't quite make it, in terms of performance, functionality, AND price.

Somewhere down the road, I might get a pro audio interface for the mini as well, if I want to do any field recording (I do sountracks and whatnot in my spare time).
My Digital Audio Workstation will always be a PC, simply because you get more raw horsepower for your dollar, and I build my own from quality components. Plus, I use software that's only available on Windows anyway (Sonar and Gigastudio3).
Oh yeah, and games. I'll be using the mini for everything else besides games and digital audio. I can't wait to start playing around with OSX and all the apps that come on the mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.