Where did my files go?

Reaction score
Hi.

So I'm very used to using windows. And well, one thing I do a lot is copy a folder full of other folders and files and paste it over another folder. The way windows behaves is if there is folders already existing then it will merge the old folder with the new one. And if there is a new file coming in with the paste that has the same name as the old file, that old file gets replaced.

That is a very natural behavior and is just what anyone should expect.

So I had no reason to assume the same would not be true for my Mac. Well I pasted and when I did it gave some popup about duplicate items (I think windows gives this popup also). I clicked yes, because why wouldn't I? Well anyways, it completely replaced the old files with the new ones, I mean, deleting non duplicate files and folders and entirely erasing all of what was there previously. This is a completely unexpected (and useless) behavior.

So well first... ***?

Second, how do I get my files back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
It doesn't help you much but I find the mac behaviour quite normal and expected. You replace one folder with another so it replaces the contents of that folder naturally.

Your originals are in the archive/backup that you made before copying.

OP
R
Reaction score
It doesn't help you much but I find the mac behaviour quite normal and expected. You replace one folder with another so it replaces the contents of that folder naturally.

If it's not expected, then how on earth are you supposed to merge two folders together?

Or please do suggest another interface or way to merge folders.

Your originals are in the archive/backup that you made before copying.

Yes, apparently I should expect this OS to behave like it was made by two year olds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Highlight the files within the folders. Drag those to the new folder. Job done.

OP
R
Reaction score
Highlight the files within the folders. Drag those to the new folder. Job done.

:D Lol, good one. Very funny.

Now seriously, how can I merge 2 folders with hundreds of files in them and and probably 30 folders that are 4-5 levels deep.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Many are using their FTP clients for this. Transmit or Cyberduck are a couple.

There is also Merge Folders, a script with a GUI that uses the unix 'cp' command. And it's freeware.

Allows for drag n drop of one or more folders and overwriting or not.

OP
R
Reaction score
What a crappy OS. I cannot believe the merge is not the default behavior. That is the dumbest thing ever.

Doesn't apple pride themselves on simple to use? Downloading and installing some script to perform a simple task does not qualify as simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What a crappy OS. I cannot believe the merge is not the default behavior. That is the dumbest thing ever.

Hang on there. Why should merge be the default? Makes no sense to me. Much clearer that copying a folder to another of same name works exactly as copying a file to another of the same name. Now requesting that a merge feature to be included in a future release is one thing; stating that it's sumb not to default to that already is quite another. Ever figure that it's that way because everyone else wants it that way?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My first personal computer was in '82. I have never personally used, nor had the need for a 'merge' function related to folders. Didn't even know that feature existed in Windows. And I've only been using a Mac for two years.

I can see that as a useful feature for some after reading about it. However, it didn't take me very long to do the googling necessary to come up with a couple of answers on how to do something I've never even done.

It's also quite possible OS X is not the OS for you. Not every OS is for everyone. There are other choices available for you.

Reaction score
Each OS is different. They do things differently. Saying an OS is made for a two year old just because it's not done exactly the same as another OS does not make sense to me. Different OS's exist becuase they are DIFFERENT not becuase they do everything the same.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well the fact of the matter is this:

A. Merging folders is advantageous and useful.

B. Replacing a folder is advantageous and useful

(assuming no one is going to argue with either of those assertions)

1. When building merge as the builtin functionality a replace of the folder can still be done fairly easily by using the delete folder functionality.

2. When building the replace folder as the builtin functionality, merge folders functionality does not exist.

Thus merge folder functionality is superior.

What is more, if you are not aware of the builtin functionality on first use (as I was not)

If merge folder functionality is the default but you assume otherwise: It does not delete any files and thus mistaking a merge functionality for a replace functionality can be remedied with some elbow grease and some time put into cleaning up the folders.

If replace folder functionality is the default but you assume otherwise: Your files are gone, and cannot be recovered.

I have made point clear, in this case MacOS is inferior to Windows.
(So Qua Sar, it is not a matter of simply "being different", it is a clear case of inferiority and superiority)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
A message window would have told you that the files would be replaced.
The only one at fault owns the face you see in the mirror.
YOU did not read the message and YOU decided to continue.

I replace old apps with new versions via drag and drop, I do not want them merged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.