what is 'startup disk'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3
Today, a message popped up saying that my startup disk is full and needs to have space. I checked the info on Macintosh HD, and I was using 27GB of 250GB. Several minutes later, I was now using 39GB!!!! the only thing I remember doing in between the two messages was downloading podcasts (none that are 12GB!) How do I fix this????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try a reboot, usually that is the easiest way. Keep us posted if continues?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
reboot = restart, right?

Reaction score
yes reboot equal trying restarting your computer. Don't ya just hate the way there's 15 terms for one word... reboot,restart,shut down, etc. haha.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what is going on?

I restarted, same message. I did some investigating. Take a look at the following. Notice the available space keeps decreasing with time. Its like something is continually taking up space. I swear I am not down loading anything, just working on a power point.

View attachment Document1.pdf

Reaction score
Did you recently have this OS installed, or has it ben on for awhile? Do you have anything auto downloading maybe, that you are forgetting, i know that happens to me sometimes where i download a bunch of stuff and forget i put it wherever i put things.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got this macbook 4 weeks ago. I am 99% ceartain that nothing is downloading. If you viewed the attatched screen-shots you may have seen that my "used" hard drive keeps increasing. I have cleared several logs and caches and it is still increasing (last checked at 9pm it was 40.75GB). I dont know what to do. I downloaded powermac antivirus and ran it on HD and APPS, but nothing came up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.