How do I burn a file to a CD-R disk?

Reaction score
I downloaded a pdf file and my iMac placed it in my documents "folder" (do Macs call them folders like Windows does?).

I inserted a blank CD-R with the intention of burning the pdf file onto the CD and taking the CD with me to work.

I believe I am following the instructions on the "To burn a disk image on a CD or DVD" Disk Utility Help window, but the file I want to burn is shaded gray and I can't select it.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have the .pdf file on the desktop, open Disk utility and drag the file to the left hand column. Select and the burn button should become active in you have a blank disc in the optical drive. Click.

Also check Apple System Profiler to ensure CD-R media is compatible.

Reaction score
You're making it a bit more complex than it needs to be. No Disk Utility needed.

When you insert a blank CD/DVD, let it "open" in Finder. It will appear on your desktop. Just drag whatever you want to burn to the CD/DVD icon (it just uses aliases - doesn't actually move your file there). When you've got everything you want on it established, just drag the CD/DVD icon to the trash (eject) and it will burn it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another option is to download burning software that gives you a greater degree of control. Aside from the commercial (and not cheap) Roxio Toast, there's an excellent open source program called Burn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.