program drive image icon on desktop

G

gdestiny

how come when i launch an app like firefox, an icon of a white HDD shows up on my desktop which says "firefox"?

i am coming from xp, so i'm not sure if that is normal OSX behavior or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
thats a .dmg file originally, double clicking mounts a virtual cd kinda, with files on it, just drop that white disks contents into applications, after it copies, eject it and delete the .dmg.

OP
G

gdestiny

yeah, i did that. but when i launch firefox, the white HDD icon shows up on my desktop again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ok, take the icon you dragged into applications and put it in the dock. delete the .dmg file and click what you just put in the dock. drag the other firefox icon out of the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I swear, this topic comes up way too often. I think its probably the most confusing thing about owning a Mac.

A mod should type up a really good description and make it a sticky topic.

OP
G

gdestiny

got it, thanks. yeah, it IS a bit confusing. coming from the xp world, i'm not used to having virtual drives (unless you use a program like alcohol 120 or something like that).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
technologist said:
I swear, this topic comes up way too often. I think its probably the most confusing thing about owning a Mac.

A mod should type up a really good description and make it a sticky topic.

I agree, this is a good idea. This is my first day with a mac and it took me a little while to figure out what was going on. It was only when I followed the instructions included with Cocktail that I learned how to do it.

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.