How are ya feelin' 'bout Adobe CS4??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - OSX 10.5.8
I haven't upgraded yet... I'm a little reluctant. Anyone try it out?

I hear there are some compatibility issues between CS3 and CS4...

Reaction score
im happy enough with cs3, alot of designers are perfectly fine with 7.0.. i dont think i personally will be upgrading anytime soon.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I haven't upgraded yet... I'm a little reluctant. Anyone try it out?

I hear there are some compatibility issues between CS3 and CS4...

There are always compatibility issues between version. >_<" That's why when you save you get a dialogue box asking what version you want to save the file as. At least that's what happens when I save on CS3 for Illustrator.

You can do this more or less on the other Adobe applications, but you need to check the file format when you save.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad
i am still using CS2 and love it. i have not run into any needs that it can't handle...i probably won't upgrade until CS5 or 6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
I think its a shame, and a pain in the neck that Adobe haven't developed a better method to move up, or upgrade between versions. Everytime a new version comes out, I have to manually go through and copy all my presets, gradients, brushes, actions, workspaces & keyboard shortcuts, the list goes on... And I wont even start with the nightmare that is re-installing plug-ins.

For a very professional application that is used largely by a professional market, it is a very polished product now, however they have done nothing over the years to make it easy to upgrade to a new version.

I have upgraded to CS4 now, but still use CS3 80% of the time, as I don't have the time to copy over everything I mentioned above, and I'm still waiting for lot of plug-ins that see daily use to be compatible with CS4.

I do like CS4 though, the new interface is very slick, and once you have figured a few things out and created a new workspace, it is good to use.

Performance wise there is a noticable difference between CS3>CS4, it handles everything smoother and with speed. My main reason for upgrading so early were the improvements made to Bridge, as I use this daily for image management, and as in Photoshop, Bridge is now a joy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
I've just installed CS4.. I only really use Dreamweaver and Photoshop but both seem noticeable faster. Looks like the newish UI may take a few days to get used to...but it seems good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I've heard that it's very different than CS3...
And quite frankly, I wouldn't bother switching any time soon. That's the thing with technology - just when you get used to what you have, boom.. something new hits.. But, I think CS3 is adequate for me. And like someone above mentioned, some people still use 7.0 and are happy with it.

I remember I used 7.0, and to be honest, the switch from 7.0 to CS2 was difficult. And the switch from CS2 to CS3 was even more difficult, lol.

OP
psychodork
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - OSX 10.5.8
I'll probably try CS4 eventually. I've been having some trouble with transparencies in Illustrator and InDesign. And Illustrator bugs out on me a lot... But I'm a spaz, so it's probably just me.

Seems too early for a new version, though... probably won't like it. I sort of hate Adobe.... feels like they rip everyone off big time >.<

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
There are other alternatives to Adobe if you look hard enough. The only reason why I even use adobe is because it's part of my job. Regardless of how we feel about CS4, it's the new thing that is out. Time to learn how to use it because if you don't you might find yourself out of a job.

Gotta love that. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any one else having trouble with CS4 activation? After about a week the activation like dies, and its taken several phone calls getting new serials... This one looks like its working tho :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any one else having trouble with CS4 activation? After about a week the activation like dies, and its taken several phone calls getting new serials... This one looks like its working tho :)

No never had that happened before. It might be because of those people that hack serial codes or what not, and adobe disabled those serial codes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh dam....well this serial seems to be working nicely now anyway :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I got CS4 Master Collection And I love IT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I was gonna request an upgrade at work for it - then a co-worker installed the 30-day trial.

The UI is quite a bit different, the tabbed layout is a pain for what I do (compositing images, creating panoramics and general design) and I'm now more than happy to keep CS3.

Why change something thats worked so well for years now!? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's good when you get used to it, but I don't think the upgrade cost is worth the price..even with student discount its still like £180 to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
early 2008 Blackbook 2.4 ghz
I use cs3. I was a bit disappointed with the upgraded feature set of cs4, which seems to mostly focus on the GUI, and not so much on new features. I actually prefer floating palettes over having them all locked up in a master-window. I was expecting, or hoping, for a more radical change to Dreamweaver, making it more visual-designer friendly...maybe in cs5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its fully re-written....its much much quicker

Reaction score
I won't be buying the suite til right before i graduate so i can get my student discount and what not, but compatibility issues are a pain! Whenever i go to work in labs, for some reason the techies only update some computers and not others. makes my life sad sometimes

Reaction score
I just downloaded CS4 and all the apps (such as Device Central and Adobe Media Player) work but when I try to open Photoshop itself I get this message "Licensing for this product has stopped working" and Error 14.

Anybody have any help for me? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
for me CS4 works fine, it is quicker since they started using the graphics card power (openGL i think) so when u have say a 10-photo hi res composite u feel the difference

of course there are a few so called "improvements" e.g. continual zooming, but the best feature came in Flash CS4 - 3D rotation with any image .. it's just so easy :)

tabs annoy me though, i keep dragging them away

btw, any1 know how to set it that when i'm in window mode and zoom in on an object, the window doesn't move to the top left? hehe pls pm me if u do, tnx!

ok i realise i just wrote a bunch of cr** but oh well :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.