Should i switch? new guy here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Unibody - 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB HDD
Hey, so yesterday I received word via the Geek Squad that my Asus laptop PC motherboard is fried and is not worth fixing, since it will be over $1000. I have been contemplating getting a Macbook Pro for a couple of years, but i am hesitant about spending $2800 after taxes on it.

I can buy a similar Dell XPS for about $2300.

In my mind, i think that Apples last a whole lot longer than PCs on the average...am i right? (obviously since this is a mac forum, i expect a bit of a biased response)

I need a performance computer because I need to run AutoCAD, and i am a bit spoiled when it comes to computer speed.

Basically, is it worth spending the extra money to buy a mac?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just want to point out that Autocad does not run on OSX so you would have to use Windows on the Mac. Whatever you do, don't purchase a Mac just to run Windows. The only reason I own any Macs is OSX. If I were just going to run Windows I would get that Dell as it's a great machine.

For me I love OSX for all that I do so it was worth it for me to buy a Mac.

You can run AutoCad if you install say Parallels and Windows on the Mac right in a window inside OSX and do everything else on OSX.

Just wanted to point that out in case you did not know. There are other CAD programs for OSX but if you for sure need AutoCad, there is no substitute that is totally compatible.

Reaction score
I'm new to Macs (only had one for 2 months), but I can tell you that the initial price difference is only the beginning. If your autocad program is not a Mac version, you will either need to buy a new version for Mac, or load Windows onto the Mac.

Loading Windows could entail needing to buy another copy of it if you don't have one, plus buying either Parallels or VMWare fusion (these are ~ $80 programs, can sometimes be found for less). You can load Windows onto the Mac through BootCamp, which is free, but the issue of getting a copy of Windows will still be there.

Bottom line, the initial outlay is not the whole story. Look carefully; Dell systems are very well thought of.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just want to point out that Autocad does not run on OSX so you would have to use Windows on the Mac. Whatever you do, don't purchase a Mac just to run Windows. The only reason I own any Macs is OSX. If I were just going to run Windows I would get that Dell as it's a great machine.

For me I love OSX for all that I do so it was worth it for me to buy a Mac.

You can run AutoCad if you install say Parallels and Windows on the Mac right in a window inside OSX and do everything else on OSX.

Just wanted to point that out in case you did not know. There are other CAD programs for OSX but if you for sure need AutoCad, there is no substitute that is totally compatible.

Thanks for the quick reply. I wouldnt use windows all the time, i would only use it to run AutoCAD through Boot Camp. I wouldnt run Parallels because the guy at Geek Squad told me that Parallels uses 2x the processor since it is basically running 2 OS's at once. I have always thought of Macs as a better computer, better OS, more reliable (hardware-wise).

I would use this computer MOSTLY for personal use, internet, etc. But i would use AutoCAD if i need to bring work home, which i do sometimes. I just feel that macs are more well thought-out, for instance the mag-safe power plug, the multi-touch track pad, the fact that i can just walk into an apple store and talk to a genius at the bar....

I have never heard of anyones Mac frying after 1 year and 7 months, i have had so many problems with my PC that it makes me seriously consider switching...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm new to Macs (only had one for 2 months), but I can tell you that the initial price difference is only the beginning. If your autocad program is not a Mac version, you will either need to buy a new version for Mac, or load Windows onto the Mac.

Loading Windows could entail needing to buy another copy of it if you don't have one, plus buying either Parallels or VMWare fusion (these are ~ $80 programs, can sometimes be found for less). You can load Windows onto the Mac through BootCamp, which is free, but the issue of getting a copy of Windows will still be there.

Bottom line, the initial outlay is not the whole story. Look carefully; Dell systems are very well thought of.

Khintul, thanks for the reply. I would run it though Boot Camp, and im sure i can find a relatively cheap copy of XP on ebay or something like that. See my reply to the guy above for my reasons as to why i might want to switch. The money doesnt phase me as much as the prospect of a dead computer in a year or two....

Reaction score
You wouldn't have a problem running AutoCAD in Parallels on a MBP.

It seems like you know the benefits of Macs over PCs - and really it comes down to personal choice.
We're not going to say "You should get a Mac, their fantastic and you'll love them!" because for some people that is not the case, but to be honest, it seems you've already made your choice.
The only thing there is to say is click here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree completely with Mark. Well said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Thanks for the quick reply. I wouldnt use windows all the time, i would only use it to run AutoCAD through Boot Camp. I wouldnt run Parallels because the guy at Geek Squad told me that Parallels uses 2x the processor since it is basically running 2 OS's at once.

That's why they get the big bucks. This is nonsense. I run a very sophisticated trading program inside Fusion. I also run Adobe CS3 for PC. (I owned it previously and had already converted from Mac to PC, and Adobe only allows the transfer 1x)

By the way, AutoCad will simply look like it is running in the Mac. There is no Windows background.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why they get the big bucks. This is nonsense. I run a very sophisticated trading program inside Fusion. I also run Adobe CS3 for PC. (I owned it previously and had already converted from Mac to PC, and Adobe only allows the transfer 1x)

By the way, AutoCad will simply look like it is running in the Mac. There is no Windows background.

jimd, what do you mean about it will simply look like it is running in the Mac? Do you mean using Parallels? What does it entail? Forgive me, but i have no idea about all of this...ive been using PCs all my life...

So it seems like you are saying that Parallels is the best way to run a windows program? Do you have to purchase a copy of windows as well as purchasing Parallels? Is it THAT much better than Boot Camp?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.