VMWare Graphics/mouse issue - especially pertaining to WC3

Reaction score
I recently put vmware on my macbook pro laptop in order to use some windows only programs in conjunction with my warcraft 3. I installed the VMware, the windows xp and the warcraft 3 with no issues. I installed the vmware tools which were supposed to enhance the graphics and performance but it made no difference.

When I start warcraft 3, no matter what resoulution I put it or the desktop on, there are two, 2-inch margins of black on either side and the quality of the graphics are horrendous even when turned all the way up. In addition to this, the mouse appears as a crosshair sign all of the time and the game runs super choppy.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
Have you got the latest version of VMware Fusion? I believe version 2 is supposed to have increased 3d support.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Trax:

VM software (Parallels and Fusion) still have a long way to go before graphic intensive games will run smoothly. As the previous reply stated, Fusion is now up to version 2.0 which supposedly provides enhanced graphics support. I haven't tested it yet, so can't comment.

It would be better to run games like Warcraft in real time Windows. If you're going to install Windows on your Mac to play games, it's best to create a Boot Camp partition and let Windows run natively.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
After VMware is running with Windows, insert the Disk 2 dvd for OSX and install the boot camp drivers. This is in addition to installing the vmware tools.

Make sure fusion is the current version, and make sure to give fusion 2 processors and lots of memory. I tend to run it in another expose' window.

Make sure 3D graphics are enabled.

Current fusion version is v2 116369

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.