why are their personal names (ex. "Emily) under my airport?

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Airport. I have a Q. I bought my imac (leopard) new from the apple store in a sealed box new. when i click on the airport symbol, a small box appears with a list of, i'm guessing connections. The list has only 3 names, none of which i understand. The first is "Emily" - don't know anyone named emily?!? The second is 2WIRE227 - don't know what that is. The third is some long combo of letters & #'s.
I JUST wanted to make sure I don't have a security issue here, or that maybe my neighbors are getting listed??!?
I am about to purchase 2 ipod touches for my daughters for christmas, and i know i'll be using airport or blutooth to connect them to our computer so they can use the internet- otherwise i would have just left Airport OFF.
can anyone tell me if these names are suppose to be there? or what?
THANK you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi, this is just a list of available wireless networks that your Airport has found within range.
If you have yours set up it will be selectable from the list, and with the security key you provide only you or people you allow will be able to connect.
The others should also be secure in some way.

Hope this helps

Cheers :)

Hugh

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Not a site comment, feedback or support request (specific to the forum). Moved to the appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hello, I am new to Airport. I have a Q. I bought my imac (leopard) new from the apple store in a sealed box new. when i click on the airport symbol, a small box appears with a list of, i'm guessing connections. The list has only 3 names, none of which i understand. The first is "Emily" - don't know anyone named emily?!? The second is 2WIRE227 - don't know what that is. The third is some long combo of letters & #'s.
I JUST wanted to make sure I don't have a security issue here, or that maybe my neighbors are getting listed??!?
I am about to purchase 2 ipod touches for my daughters for christmas, and i know i'll be using airport or blutooth to connect them to our computer so they can use the internet- otherwise i would have just left Airport OFF.
can anyone tell me if these names are suppose to be there? or what?
THANK you!

Probably means they are connected tot your wireless network. Do you have it password protected?

OP
T
Reaction score
?

so, tkim, if i turn airport off, no one is using my network?
also, the names have a lock next to them.
i do not have a router. i get internet into my house thru dsl modem, for just 1 computer.
from this, do you think there someone else using my connection or is getting into my computer??

or maybe these names are my neighbors and their wifi??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
so, tkim, if i turn airport off, no one is using my network?
also, the names have a lock next to them.
i do not have a router. i get internet into my house thru dsl modem, for just 1 computer.
from this, do you think there someone else using my connection or is getting into my computer??

or maybe these names are my neighbors and their wifi??

Correct, those are the wireless routers of neighboring households. The little lock next to the name means they are using wireless security. If you are using DSL and an ethernet cable for connectivity, you machine will be very secure.

Scott

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.