Preparing for the switchover

Reaction score
Hello, I have decided to take the plunge and ordered my first iMac. Before it is delivered I thought I'd get as much preparation in as possible so that I can just start using it and integrate it into my mixed network, without spending the first few days wondering what I need to do!

My mixed network will include 2 laptops running XP, a Canon IP4200 printer and a Netgear DG834G router/modem. The 2 laptops connect to the router via wifi.

I would like to share this printer and files from both laptops and the iMac.

The iMac will be positioned in close proximity to the router so I'll probably just wire it into the router.

From the point of integration/sharing, is there any reason not to hardwire it to the router? I'm assuming the wifi of the iMac can be turned off?

I understand that anti virus software and software firewalls are considered as optional rather than necessities. Am I correct in thinking that as my iMac will only be used behind my router, I do not need a further firewall or is it still a case of it being an optional extra rather than an unnecessary one? Is Mac OSX's firewall better than XP's?

I also have an ipod and iTunes on each laptop. My ipod has only been connected to a PC. Am I right in thinking that if I want to connect it to my iMac, I'd need to format the ipod and would then be unable to connect it to my laptops?

In the past I have tried centralising my iTunes libraries but I'm not too sure I've succeeded completely as I still seem to find tunes missing, so this is my final item on my 'to do' list. Ideally I would like my entire library on an external hard drive (hopefully my WD usb drive will work on my iMac).

If my WD drive has only been connected to a PC, via usb, unfortunately it isn't a network drive, would I be able to plug it into my iMac or would I need to format that too?

Thank you for your time

JJ

Reaction score
Hello, I have decided to take the plunge and ordered my first iMac. Before it is delivered I thought I'd get as much preparation in as possible so that I can just start using it and integrate it into my mixed network, without spending the first few days wondering what I need to do!

My mixed network will include 2 laptops running XP, a Canon IP4200 printer and a Netgear DG834G router/modem. The 2 laptops connect to the router via wifi.

I would like to share this printer and files from both laptops and the iMac.

The iMac will be positioned in close proximity to the router so I'll probably just wire it into the router.

From the point of integration/sharing, is there any reason not to hardwire it to the router? I'm assuming the wifi of the iMac can be turned off?

I understand that anti virus software and software firewalls are considered as optional rather than necessities. Am I correct in thinking that as my iMac will only be used behind my router, I do not need a further firewall or is it still a case of it being an optional extra rather than an unnecessary one? Is Mac OSX's firewall better than XP's?

I also have an ipod and iTunes on each laptop. My ipod has only been connected to a PC. Am I right in thinking that if I want to connect it to my iMac, I'd need to format the ipod and would then be unable to connect it to my laptops?

In the past I have tried centralising my iTunes libraries but I'm not too sure I've succeeded completely as I still seem to find tunes missing, so this is my final item on my 'to do' list. Ideally I would like my entire library on an external hard drive (hopefully my WD usb drive will work on my iMac).

If my WD drive has only been connected to a PC, via usb, unfortunately it isn't a network drive, would I be able to plug it into my iMac or would I need to format that too?

Thank you for your time

JJ

For the two laptops, just make sure the folders you want to share are enabled as "sharing" folders... For my printer, I just went to System Preferences, then Print and Fax, and then after I clicked the "+" button, it showed up there. I clicked ok and it automatically installed the drivers for me.

Yes the Wi-Fi (also known as AirPort) on the iMac can be turned off.

I do not have an additional firewall installed, and everything has been great so far.

Nope, your iPod's should work fine on both computers... Just make sure the "manually manage music" is checked off so it automatically does not sync with both libraries. You can manually add songs, playlists and movies, but you would have to do it manually by dragging them over in iTunes. However, iPod's are meant to be synced with one library as it is meant to be easy, but if you would prefer to manually manage your music then that is just fine too.

I have not tried this, but I am pretty sure you can just copy your iTunes folder from your "Music" folder onto the WD USB Hard Drive and then copy it onto your new iMac... However, I am not totally sure that this works, but I do not see why not.

It depends on what the drive is formatted as. If it is formatted as NTFS then no it will be writable from the Mac, but you can download a driver thats called "NTFS 3G". This lets you write to the disk on the iMac. The problem with this is that it writes extremely slow compared to if it was formatted as FAT. Anyhow, it will not be a big deal if it is just small .doc files or whatever, that is being copied onto it. If the drive is formatted as FAT then you will no problem reading and writing to the WD USB Hard Drive.

Hope I Helped!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I would have to disagree with NTFS not being 'writable'. I use my MBP in a windows network at home where I use my Windows Home Server, and I can write to the harddrives all day long, which are formatted in NTFS. However I am using Leopard.

I've also done this with High Capacity USB drivers (16GB) formatted in NTFS.

Reaction score
I would have to disagree with NTFS not being 'writable'. I use my MBP in a windows network at home where I use my Windows Home Server, and I can write to the harddrives all day long, which are formatted in NTFS. However I am using Leopard.

If your USB Hard Drive, Flash Drive etc, is formatted as NTFS, it will not be writable... You will have to install NTFS-3G or MacFuse...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stand corrected on the USB Flash Drive part.

However, I have read that you can write to a NTFS drive if it's networked, so my example is that you can write to the NTFS drive if it is connected to a PC and shared out via the network.

This explains why I am able to write to my Home Server, and my servers at work, which are all NTFS drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

That's because on a network they are set up for SMB protocol, Macs have no problem doing this, but they can not write directly to an NTFS drive mounted via USB, FW, or SATA without a third party program.

Reaction score
I stand corrected on the USB Flash Drive part.

However, I have read that you can write to a NTFS drive if it's networked, so my example is that you can write to the NTFS drive if it is connected to a PC and shared out via the network.

This explains why I am able to write to my Home Server, and my servers at work, which are all NTFS drives.

I agree you can write to an NTFS drive if its networked... I do it all the time at my house. But if it is plugged directly into your machine (MacBook, iMac etc...) then you need an application that will allow you to write to NTFS drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I pulled out the 16GB NTFS Flash drive and tried it, and it did not allow me to write to it. When I did it the first time, I think it was formated in FAT32.
Like I said, I stand corrected.

OP
L
Reaction score
thank you for replying, sorry if I opened a can of worms about the USB HD! I can't remember which format it is in but will check. It sounds like the transition should be a lot easier than I had always thought though (touch wood). As for my iTunes, I have tried a few times to centralise and each time my libraries seem to end up in more of a mess!

I can't wait for my iMac now..not dispatched yet though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you for replying, sorry if I opened a can of worms about the USB HD! I can't remember which format it is in but will check. It sounds like the transition should be a lot easier than I had always thought though (touch wood). As for my iTunes, I have tried a few times to centralise and each time my libraries seem to end up in more of a mess!

I can't wait for my iMac now..not dispatched yet though!

No worries at all! Everyone can learn something new at any time, and I'm glad it was pointed out to me. You will enjoy your Mac when it comes, trust me!

OP
L
Reaction score
hello, my mac will be with me tomorrow all being well! I checked my external hd and it is NTFS :(

Would I be better off copying files from it, to my mac then changing its format to fat32 rather than installing NTFS-3G or MacFuse or doesn't it matter?

Sods law, is that I've used this hd to back up files from the PC that my iMac is replacing so I'm stuck with the NTFS until I have got the files off it!

OP
L
Reaction score
Hello, got my iMac. It's lovely but being so used to Windows, I keep getting a bit lost with OSX and there are a few bits I'm just not sure about.

Are there any books/mags you would recommend?

Thanks again

JJ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.