Help with any of these questions asap plz!

Reaction score
Ok guys, I am new to this Mac World so to say here So i have a few questions here that would be greatly appreciated.

1) What is the difference btw the Macbook Pro? Macbook? and Macbook Air? Besides the size of hte laptop I dont know the difference at all. I just konw Air is the small tiny one and thats about it.

2) I am coming from a PC so take it easy on this newb loll.

3)What is the difference between the new Pros that are in a silver case as opposed to the white ones that were previous generation I believe just before this October. Any Detailed information would be appreciated from casing to internals to the system itself.

4) I see a Macbook air going for 12xx with 1.6 GHz, 2 gig ram 80 gig HD then a Macbook (the one case ones) i THINK it was a pro with like 2 ghz etc for about 800. Why the big difference especially if its slower? Does the speed matter much on a mac as opposed to a PC b/c from what I understand macs dont do much loading and things just pop up as opposed to the loading process that a PC has. Thanks for the help people! : )

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
The white ones are Macbooks not Macbook pro's.
These are still available for less than the aluminium one.

OP
S
Reaction score
The white ones are Macbooks not Macbook pro's.
These are still available for less than the aluminium one.

The aluminum one is the MacPro then and the white is just Macbook which is the G4?

What is teh difference btw the Pro and the reg Macbook? is it softwares itcomes with or just the body of hte laptop (appearance)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Differences between MacBook & MacBook pro's range from screen sizes, processor speeds, connection sockets...pretty much everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
Also the main difference between the earlier models of macbook and MBP were the graphics cards in the pro it was a dedicated graphics chip with it's own ram built in and the macbook uses a lesser graphics chip built into the main board where it steals ram from the computer's ram installed. In the new unibody machines the Graphics chips are the 9400 in the macbook and the macbook pro uses 2 graphics chips 9400 GT and 9600 GT which you can switch between. depending on what you want to use.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Thread moved to the Switcher's forum.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok guys, I am new to this Mac World so to say here So i have a few questions here that would be greatly appreciated.

1) What is the difference btw the Macbook Pro? Macbook? and Macbook Air? Besides the size of hte laptop I dont know the difference at all. I just konw Air is the small tiny one and thats about it.

The MacBook Pro features a more powerful, discrete graphics processor. It also has a bigger screen, firewire ports and an ExpressCard/34 slot when compared to the standard MacBook. The MacBook Air is an ultra-portable machine that lacks and optical drive and is extremely limited in terms of expansion ports (a single USB port) and has fixed, non-upgradeable memory. The Air also has a relatively non-standard hard drive (it uses a miniaturized hard drive similar to what is in an iPod). In my opinion, one should only consider the Air if portability is of utmost importance and you're able to sacrifice performance and expandability for it.

2) I am coming from a PC so take it easy on this newb loll.

No worries, this is the Switcher's forum afterall, where flaming is frowned upon.

3)What is the difference between the new Pros that are in a silver case as opposed to the white ones that were previous generation I believe just before this October. Any Detailed information would be appreciated from casing to internals to the system itself.

The new case design is no longer stamped from a sheet of aluminum and comprised of multiple parts and an internal frame. Instead, it's carved from a solid block of aluminum. This allows for a much more rigid and versatile design.

4) I see a Macbook air going for 12xx with 1.6 GHz, 2 gig ram 80 gig HD then a Macbook (the one case ones) i THINK it was a pro with like 2 ghz etc for about 800. Why the big difference especially if its slower? Does the speed matter much on a mac as opposed to a PC b/c from what I understand macs dont do much loading and things just pop up as opposed to the loading process that a PC has. Thanks for the help people! : )

Macs still have to load things, but I'm not going to get into a comparison of the fundamental differences here. In reality, a Mac really is just a PC that has been designed to run Mac OS X instead of Windows. Just know that the faster processors will result in a faster user experience overall. The pricing discrepancy is related solely to the design of the Air. Ultraportable machines, regardless of whether they're made by Apple or any other computer company, tend to command a premium price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I thought the new aluminium Macbooks and Macbook pro's no longer had firewire.

The white Macbook still has the firewire port and now has a superdrive instead of the combo drive.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I thought the new aluminium Macbooks and Macbook pro's no longer had firewire.

The white Macbook still has the firewire port and now has a superdrive instead of the combo drive.

The new MBP has one firewire port. The new MB lost it's firewire port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'll add a few bits of information:

- White used to = consumer notebook, i.e. iBook G4, MacBook.
- G4 = old - avoid
- MacBook: Good enough to get most jobs done, shared memory graphics - 13"
- MacBook Pros: Fully featured, FireWire 800, dedicated graphics - 15" or 17"
- MacBook air: Slightly less power than the MacBook or MacBook Pro, but you pay more due to the size and weight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
my macbook 2.4 is very close in specs to a Macbook pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.