Thoughts on Amazon or Macmall ?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm New to the site and getting a macbook pro 15" soon. First I ordered last night from Amazon a Macbook mb134ll/a . Thought they were last minute black friday deals... (which looks like they extended it afterwords anyway.) Was going to get thru Macmall, but their return policy (from what I read & understood) didn't show any "special holiday" exceptions? (unless I just read wrong?) So, in them not having after Christmas returns, I decided "last minute" to order thru Amazon (looks like they do have after Chirstmas returns.) Thought both were same price, but in looking more it does seem Macmall will get you parallels, and a few other software items free (after rebate maybe). Now I'm wondering if Amazon might not have been a good choice, unless they would match Macmall for the extra software? Any thoughts on these two companies and if one is better than the other for customer service or getting you "the same or better deal" than their competitor?
Do any of you have recommendations on getting it from one compared to the other? I've never dealt with either.
Coming from a 5 year old Toshiba pentium4 ht 2.80 ghz 60gb hdd & 512MB DDR SDRam w/windows xp media center edition, I wonder if i should get parallels for the new macbook, since i'm so used to it right now?
anyway, thanks for your time and or input.
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I would have bought from MacMall over Amazon personally, MacMall being a authorized Apple Reseller, also all there current sales are good until Monday at 11:59pm. Plus all of the stuff you buy from Macmall is new, so I really wouldnt worry about having to 'return' it for any reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Plus all of the stuff you buy from Macmall is new, so I really wouldnt worry about having to 'return' it for any reason.

And Amazon's products aren't?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm not saying they aren't, but it really depends who you buy them from. Apple Palace is a perfect example. They sell on Amazon, claim there stuff is Certified Pre-Owned, but in reality it is not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm not saying they aren't, but it really depends who you buy them from. Apple Palace is a perfect example. They sell on Amazon, claim there stuff is Certified Pre-Owned, but in reality it is not.
Ah yeah gotta be aware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah yeah gotta be aware.

You must... most of the time you can find a good deal, but Amazon sells for other companys, and it's hard to get the straight info about the actual vendor. I almost made this mistake from buying from Apple Palace, but after research, I found them to be 'too shady' and went with MacMall.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You must... most of the time you can find a good deal, but Amazon sells for other companys, and it's hard to get the straight info about the actual vendor. I almost made this mistake from buying from Apple Palace, but after research, I found them to be 'too shady' and went with MacMall.

Good advice. :D Although Amazon itself has a good reputation and return policy, their retail clients aren't always as stellar.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Penryn 2G/200Gb
I can vouch for MacMall, that's where I got my MBP.

I can't say there's anything wrong w/ Amazon, though. If you're buying straight from Amazon and not another company, you'll get what you pay for. I've never had a problem with them.

Ebay however.... *furrows brows*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz,4GB,200GB
What about newegg. That's where I got my MBP from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is nothing wrong with Newegg.com at all. - I have spent many thousands of dollars with them. If the price is right, why not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
+1 for newegg

Reaction score
For me, Amazon (and just about anyone else) over MacMall; but MacConnection or SmallDog at the top.

YMMV :D

Reaction score
I bought both of my Macs @ Mac Mall and had good experiences both times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about newegg. That's where I got my MBP from.

I'm not sure about Newegg's policy on laptops, but their 8 dead pixel policy for monitors makes me nervous. I've bought a 24" NEC from them before without a problem, but the policy is still unsettling.

This is the policy:

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days
* There must be a minimum of 8 dead pixels to declare an LCD display defective and eligible for return.

oh wait, I found their notebook policy on the same page. Basically it's "all sales are final", but with a nice spin on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only purchase parts from newegg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz,4GB,200GB
Yuchi,

Now you got me nervous about purchasing from newegg. Do you think I have anything to worry about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yuchi,

Now you got me nervous about purchasing from newegg. Do you think I have anything to worry about?

Seriously, these are all reliable websites. I've ordered from newegg myself for quite a lot of parts, and I did say that i got my monitor there w/o a problem. But if you're really worried, just get it from MacMall or Apple. Sometimes reassurance itself is worth a few sheckles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum
I got my Macbook aluminum from Macmall, quite worried about their credibility at first but then realised they are Authorized Apple Reseler. So far so good, depend on the price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.