• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can You Edit HD Video Files On A Mac Mini ?

Reaction score
Hey,

I have never owned a mac before, but I need a new (faster) computer, preferably a mac, so that I can edit my HD footage. I am looking for either a Mac Mini or an iMac. My camera uses the AVCHD file and anyone with experience in this area any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I have to admit I haven't used a mini. My one experience with Final Cut Express on a Macbook also wasn't with HD content. So, clearly you'll still want to here for those who have actually tried editing HD on a mini or Macbook.

I should think that the iMac would be the better choice. It has an integrated graphics card that the system will take advantage of. Overall the system specs are also better which should help.

The mini hasn't seen an update for a long time. People have speculated if its life span is at an end and some think Apple will finally update it or replace it at Macworld in early January.

If you are going to use iMovie 08, then editing should be easy enough because it creates 'thumbnail movies' to allow for easy scrubbing. Final Cut may require more rendering for effects to make it livable to work with on a mini. More complicated effects will require rending, but that can be true on higher end systems too.

Note that AVCHD is converted when imported to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec), so your files are going to be very large.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use my Mini for Video work Converting, Compressing and some small stuff in Final Cut Express. It works fine but mine is Modded a bit. I bought a C2D 2.16 GHZ CPU from the last 24" White iMac that a friend ruined. It flys with that CPU installed. 2GB RAM and faster HDD.

To me the largest issue with large HD would be that small and slow laptop hard drive. I use a FW400 7200 RPM External and it's pretty zippy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a few
I have edited files from my HG10 canon using FCE 4 on my mac mini
several times! no problems at all! sometimes rendering is slow, but only with
a good amount of lengthy clips

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.