Buying an external hd today

Reaction score
I'm looking for an external HD and trying not to spend $200. If possible, I'd like a 1 TB drive. I saw this one (Hammer MoreSpace 1TB External USB) on Tigerdirect for $129. Can anyone add an opinion? (is it loud? trustworthy?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
With all the "Black Friday" sales going on today, why not go to your local computer store and buy a drive there? You'll probably get just as good a deal as from Tiger Direct, and, it'll be a lot easier to return the drive if it turns out to be a dud.

Just my opinion....

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Good advice. I asked here because sometimes the BB or CC guys don't seem to know much. I didn't want to just trust one of them when most of the posters here offer good insight about the product.

Maybe someone could suggest a HD and I will head out to a store later?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Western Digital "My Book" series is a good one, and there are many others. You mentioned Best Buy and Circuit City, but also consider stores like Wal-Mart, Office Depot and Staples. Sometimes their sales are even more aggressive and their service is generally good.

If you have a membership at Sam's Club or Costco, that would be my first choice of a place to buy since their return policies are "no questions asked".

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
I read in an older post that the Western Digital HDs were a bit noisy. I guess as long as I can trust it to do its job, that's the biggest concern.

Reaction score
I have an external (Western Digital) and it is ultra quiet. Cannot hear a sound for it. It is a MyBook - got it at Best Buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
a little late, but I picked up a Western Digital MyBook 1TB for $119 from frys today may look into it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.