Timemachine

Reaction score
i just set up my timemachine and was wondering if there is a way to set it so it only backs up at certain times. like once every a week or every 2 weeks. so far i started it up last night and it has already backed every hour. i dont need my computer to back up that much i dont use it for work, so i just need my stuff backed up in case, and everything important is already backed up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
No.. the purpose for Time Machine is to back up your system every hour, so if your computer ever does crash you have all your content ready to restore your system. I don't use my system for work either, but I would love to have my system backed up all the time. If it really bothers you that much, keep TM off, and turn it on then back up your system (you can manually start TM) then turn TM back off once the back up is finished.

There is a Time Machine icon in the menu bar. You can choose to Back Up Now, Enter Time Machine, or Open Time Machine Preferences.

To turn off TM, go to TM Prefs then click the big toggle "switch" to the off position.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Yeah, I don't see what the problem is here either. Time Machine just backs up the changes you made to your computer every hour. Why not have everything -- and I mean everything -- covered in the event of a failure. I've had a few hard drives go out on me over the years, and my attitude is better to be too cautious than not enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.