Clean up computer?

M

mac_noobie

Hello, I have been using my powerbook for quite some time now, and since the time of purchase, I've put quite a few things on it. I am wondering however, if there is any software, or something I can do to help clean it up a little bit, and keep it running fast.

I know windows had some disk defragmentor program that was supposed to do that.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I use a program called Cocktail (shareware) and Macaroni (shareware), there is also Onyx (free), PantherCacheCleaner and Xupport.

They all do pretty much the same things with different graphical frontends and slight differences here and there but all pretty good. They mostly automate the process of cleaning caches, repairing permissions etc.

All can be found at www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com

OP
M

meltbanana314

OS X uses a journaling filesystem (HFS+, I think) and is near impervious to fragmentation.

If you know what you're doing - use OnyX. However, if you're new to the whole Mac thing - do yourself a favour and buy a license for Cocktail.

OP
S

silencedge

There's also Tinkertool which is free, does pretty much the same things as Cocktail. And it offers the shareware version Tinkertool System too, which comes bundled with a couple more options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's quite possible and after a short while easy to run your Mac without any extra utilities. Using the terminal, repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions
Crons run by themselves if the Mac is active (not asleep) somewhere between 0400 and 0530 mornings. But in terminal: (switching to root - or superuser permissions) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.