• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

mac compatible camcorder

Reaction score
Before purchasing a camcorder (Sony DCR-HC62) I spent hours researching the web and various mac forums to make sure that I could use the camera with my macbook for viewing and editing.

All for naught!

I quickly discovered the sony software "does not operate on a Mac" -- (but I can copy still images from a memory stick). I don't need this -- I need to get video from the camera!.

For some reason I did purchase a firewire cable and I can connect to camera's DVI port for download (don't know why camera has a USB port).

Soooooo, I am stuck. don't know whether I should return the camera and instead get a Cannon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Looks like Canon are the leaders in Mac-compatibility.

I find it extraordinary that popular camcorder manufacturers do not/will not make their machines more Mac friendly. Further, those that are M-c should have the Mac logo beside their product description - simple enough to do.

Google the iMovie Camcorder Compatibility page for other information. I found this on MacTalk "With my JVC I can plug the firewire cable in and record directly to my Mac. I have done this several times. Not sure if you can with a USB camcorder."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
You shouldn't have to use the Sony software. You should be able to hook the camera up via firewire and the iLink (sony's term for firewire) then use iMovie or Final Cut to import

Reaction score
I have a sony and there is no software. I just plug in the firewire and go. MAC or PC The same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
So you have to use Firewire?

Yes. On the Sony end it is usually referred to as iLink but that just means firewire(small connection).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
I did research prior to buying a camcorder as well. After searching, researching, and pricing, I found the Panasonic HDC-SD9 a fabulous choice. It is flash-based (lower weight and no internal HDD to worry about), has a triple CCD setup (as opposed to single CMOS) and records natively to AVCHD (1920x1080 progressive, with a 24p film setting available). Still images of course only max at 2.07MP (normal), but for HD quality video, it is an amazing value (can be found for around $500 online these days). The only drawback I've found is that it lacks a bit in low light situations, but aside from that, excels in every other application I've thrown at it. Best of all, you simply connect it to the Mac (I have a MBP) via USB and voila! iMovie 08 and FCE 4 both recognize it with no problems whatsoever.

Capacity-wise, I have two 4GB and one 16GB SDHC cards (DEFINITELY go with Class 6 - MUCH better write and response times) and it will record up to 1 hour on the 4gig, and 3 3/4 hours on the16gig cards. I have yet to find a reasonably priced 32GB Class 6 SDHC (that's as high as it will recognize), but once I do, I'm set. A 32GB card will record nearly 7 hours of footage...

Now if only Panasonic would either (a) make higher capacity batteries available; (2) license the technology to third party companies so I can more readily get longer-lasting 'corder batteries, or (d) make some of the settings last through switching to off/standby, I'd be a happy clam. =) But, all things told, I *am* a happy camper with this camera. Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
Oh and I almost forgot one of my fave features: it has a mini-HDMI out port, so I can run it straight to my 1080p HDTV to look at footage before I offload and edit on the Mac. Mmmmmmmm.... mini HDMI... *droool*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.