VLC deletes my files

Reaction score
So this has happened to me a couple times but when I play certain files (avi, wmv) with VLC media player, and VLC unexpectedly quits, it deletes the files.

Maybe it hides them somewhere, but I think they get completely deleted. They do not even go to the trash.

Any suggestions on what causes it and how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Are you using VLC in streaming mode eg. a radio station? You say avi and wmv, but have they first been d/loaded and saved? If not, when VLC quits, it will remove the files you were listening to or viewing. There is no Save function in VLC itself.

So why is VLC quitting? You probably need to repair your OS permissions, and I recommend Onyx for that purpose.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, these are downloaded files, but if VLC crashes, it takes the files along with it and I can't recover them. It deletes them.

And I will definitely give Onyx a try. Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.