School me on macbooks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook(white)
ok since i really don't know much about computers. can someone tell me what OSX leopard/tiger is, which is better for my white 13.3" macbook? i only use computers for work and surfing the net, what should i do so my mac will always be on good shape? what problems will i encounter in the future on my mac since i only have this for about a month now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro, Late 2008 Model - 320 GB HD - 4 GB DDR3 RAM - 2.53 GHz Processor
Hey grannyshifter,

You have an interesting question. OS X, (pronounced Oh-es-ten) is the operating system used by nearly all Macs functioning today. An "operating system" is the digital infrastructure of your computer, and, in layman's term's, makes it so you can do things. It has many versions, all of which are still called OS X, but are also named after big cats (eg: OS X Panther, OS X Cheetah, OS X Tiger, OS X Leopard). To answer your question, Leopard would be the best version of OS X to buy, as it is the most recent and current, and will likely be supported for many years to come. Tiger is the name of the version before Leopard, and it has been out of date (obsolete) for at least a year. I hope this helped you!

Have a nice day,
Admiral Alpha

Reaction score
^ Erm after reading that, so am I right in assuming these "big cat" OS's you have to purchase? or does it come with the macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
If you buy a MacBook or any other apple computer from apple new, you get the latest version of OS X (currently Leopard) installed.
If you know Microsoft then think of OS X as Windows and Leopard as Vista, e.g.

Windows Vista or Windows XP

OS X Leopard or OS X Tiger

OS X is the brand of operating system while Leopard is the version of that operating system

OP
grannyshifter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook(white)
Hey grannyshifter,

You have an interesting question. OS X, (pronounced Oh-es-ten) is the operating system used by nearly all Macs functioning today. An "operating system" is the digital infrastructure of your computer, and, in layman's term's, makes it so you can do things. It has many versions, all of which are still called OS X, but are also named after big cats (eg: OS X Panther, OS X Cheetah, OS X Tiger, OS X Leopard). To answer your question, Leopard would be the best version of OS X to buy, as it is the most recent and current, and will likely be supported for many years to come. Tiger is the name of the version before Leopard, and it has been out of date (obsolete) for at least a year. I hope this helped you!

Have a nice day,
Admiral Alpha

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac 101 - made by Apple themselves, really easy to understand, and it covers everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.