Running SMCfancontrol all the time on higher rpm??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
What are the bad parts of always running smcfancontrol while using my MB? Its now at 3600rpm and i like it higher

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are the bad parts of always running smcfancontrol while using my MB? Its now at 3600rpm and i like it higher

1. Noise

2. Wear out the fan bearings faster than normal, requiring an early fan replacement.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why run it at all? The fans are thermostatically controlled, with thresholds set by the same talented engineers that designed your MacBook.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Why run it at all? The fans are thermostatically controlled, with thresholds set by the same talented engineers that designed your MacBook.

Because while watching CSI I'm at a good 70 degrees celcius which just isn't comfortable for me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Because while watching CSI I'm at a good 70 degrees celcius which just isn't comfortable for me.

I'd recommend a laptop pad then - a lot less expensive than having to replace one of your fans due to premature failure. Note that most manufacturers have stopped using the term "laptops" in the last several years - instead, they call them "notebooks" for precisely the reason that they want to discourage people from using them on their laps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I'd recommend a laptop pad then - a lot less expensive than having to replace one of your fans due to premature failure. Note that most manufacturers have stopped using the term "laptops" in the last several years - instead, they call them "notebooks" for precisely the reason that they want to discourage people from using them on their laps.

+1 on the notebook pad. I use one whenever I'm doing something to make the fans kick on for an extended period of time.

Amazon.com: notebook cooling pad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.