Help for a new Mac convert please .

Reaction score
Hi there,

I currently have my Mac streaming to my PS3 in the lounge. (Media Link)
It's ok but not great with videos etc.
I want to put another TV in my converted garage and be able to stream stuff there as well at the same time as the lounge.
What I need to know is what options there are. I heard about Apple TV but if I download a film or tunes off the net but not from itunes will it stream them ? What if I got a WLNA enabled TV or other device in the garage would the Mac and in particular Media Link be able to stream 2 different things at the same time ?

I hope this isn't to vague as any help would be appreciated lads cheers.

Reaction score
Apple TV

Hi,

My set up is entirely Wireless Apple using new and old Airport Extreme Base stations. This allows me to connect the fster 802.11 n devices and like Apple TV and my Macbook and the older 802.11 b&g devices like PS3 & 360 Elite.

I have my iTunes content stored on an ext HDD (1TB Western Digital) connected to my Time Capsule.

My Apple TV needs to have iTunes running on my Macbook but as the files are stored on the HDD, I am not limited either by the size of Apple TV or the size of HDD on my laptop. I am going through the process of backing up my DVD library and putting the content on the 1TB drive and the physical discs in my loft space.

There are a few issues with this setup as I sometimes lose my connection when my laptop runs out of juice but I will resolve that when I get a Mac Mini (after Macworld).

Having said all of that, I cannot recommend Apple TV enough... but only if you are committed to iTunes (or use Boxee).

I myself love all things Apple - I use my iPhone to control my Music and Movies and now that I can stream from my Apple TV to my Denon Stereo via Airport Express... Apple Tv really is the centre of my Media Network.

I would be happy to send you a bit more detail and/or a diagram if that would help.

Good Luck whatever you decide but I am very, very happy with my Dual Frequency Apple Network and Apple TV.

Reaction score
I should really answer your question as best I can too...

If you use an ext HDD attached to an Airport Extreme Base station or Time Capsule - it allows multiple clients / devices to stream from it at the same time.

I have a PS3 and have not found a way to get that to stream from my Apple devices.

I don't know what WLNA is...

Apple TV out of the box wants to work with iTunes. That is not to say that it won't work with other media... they just need to be in an Apple TV friendly format and stored in your iTunes Music/Movies library. You can use Handbrake to ensure that it is formatted nicely for Apple TV and stored on a device from which iTunes can read the file.

OP
T
Reaction score
Cheers Smithy trying to get my head round this at present. In theory I suppose I could just keep the Mac connected to the PS3 in the lounge and get Apple TV for the garage ? If I wanted to use Apple TV on both TV's would I need two of them (Apple TV that is ) Would a lot depend on my network at home I suppose speed and such like. I am using an Orange Livebox and at present have had no problems with wireless connectivity. I assume what you are suggesting is use the faster Apple TV etc for the garage and the slower Media Link to PS3 for the lounge. Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm having a party on new years eve and would love to get this all up and running to impress the neighbours http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Smile.png

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.