mac networking issue please help!!

Reaction score
hoping someone can help with this one.
I have a wireless network, 3 pc's and 1 mac ibook all working well. I am trying to connect an addtional mac ibook to the existing network. I have connected the mac to the internet on its own via ethernet and am able to access the net without any problems this way. When i scan for availible wireless networks with the mac i want to connect to the network it fails to pick it up the availible wireless network. After many random attemps i have been able to type in the network name and add the password which acheives nothing until i go and change the channel in the computer to computer network named hank from (default 11) to just 11 and then apply and lock the changes made.
once i hit apply the wirelss icon changes to what looks like a little computer inside the wireless icon. then i can go back in and join 'existing network' by retyping the network name and password. then i have full signal streghth and connection to the wireless network. However if i shut the screen or restart the mac ibook the settings are lost and i have to redo all of the above in order to connect to the network. any ideas!! it is very frustrating.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX is on the problem iBook? Also what OSX is on the iBook that works?

What Encryption you using? WEP? WPA?

OP
M
Reaction score
the one with the problems is tiger, the one thats working is Leopard.
encryption is wpa 2 personal

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.