Relocating to the UK

Reaction score
I'm considering a move to the UK from the US -- and I would simply like to know if I can take a US-configured iMac with me, or if I have to re-gear when I get there.

If it is possible, can someone please tell me the technical issues involved?

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Other than buying an AC adapter plug for the UK mains and changing your locale language and time\date formats, there shouldn't be anything else.

If there is, someone from the UK will advise you.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
That would be all. You don't even need to change the locale, unless you want to use British currency, date formats and spelling.

Where in the UK are you planing on moving?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
most modern macs can auto switch between US 110 V and European 220V, so you will not need to do anything, apart from buy a UK power cord, although I will post you one when you get here.

You will just need to get used to our sense of humour, our spelling and the fact that we appear aloof and cold, but are real friendly warm hearted people when you get to know us

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
aloof and cold, but are real friendly warm hearted people when you get to know us
Best post of all time!
I went on a trip to Ireland over the summer and had to get adapters and new chargers for numerous devices. We the people of the world need to band together and make a universal outlet!

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, everyone

And thanks to louishen, for the tips on spelling and humoUr ... as to the cold and aloof part, I'm actually relocating to be with the love of my life --- so one hopes I adapt well!

;D

Reaction score
A word of advice, stock up on any tech gear you think you may require before you depart because you'll be shocked by the price of things over here (Especially with the pound being rather weak at the moment).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - 2GHZ - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD - 500GB External HD - 8GB iPod Touch
Were abouts in the UK are you moving to?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.