Garage Band, midi and keyboard help needed!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new at this. I have Garage Band 2008, a Casio Privia 300 keyboard, and a midi cable (with usb on one end and MIDI In, and MIDI out on the other)... and after a couple hours, am unable to get them to work together. The audio/input does NOT detect any midi connection, despite the fact that the midi device itself is blinking and responding as we play music. We've tried restarting, resetting, turning things on in different orders, reading the manuals (!!) etc. to no avail.

One possibility is that I haven't downloaded a driver for the keyboard, but am unable to find any info about this.

Any help would be MOST welcome! Linda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
I had that problem a couple years ago. I think it was an M-Audio uno or something of the sort I bought. You will need to source and download the driver online. You will need to also install it into your computer. What is the brand/model of you MIDI to USB device?

OP
L
Reaction score
midi device, etc

In response to the questions above - the device is M-AUDIO, USB on one end, two midi cables on the other, a blue "egg-shaped" thing with 3 flashing green lights in the middle. Have had it for a couple years (when I was trying to get this going last time around), but never got it connected.

I don't know about the driver - driver for the Casio? or for the M-Audio device? And I noticed looking last night the drivers I found seemed to be for PC's.

All your help is MUCH appreciated! LINDA

PS - How do I configure the Mac Audio as mentioned above? :)

Reaction score
How do I configure the Mac Audio as mentioned above? :)

Do a spotlight search for Audio Midi Setup (or find it located in your utilities folder) and select Midi Devices. If your keyboard doesn't show up, add a new device. Configure it, enter manufacturer info if you wish and then rescan Midi. It should show in info if it's online! Also check that your device is selected in your midi setup in Garageband.

OP
L
Reaction score
Solved!... thanks to you all...

Problem solved...! thanks to tweaked's suggestions, I did what you recommended, with no results, until I reloaded the software and THEN, went on to download the UPDATE to the software, for Leopard. Restarting everything, suddenly it's working! I actually don't see the Keyboard listed in Audio Devices, rather it is the USB midi that shows up, BUT the upshot is, GarageBand "hears" it and I recorded a few notes!

Wanted to let you know... will work on whole songs tomorrow. A whole new world has opened up. Thanks so much for your help! Linda

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.