What can I expect?

Reaction score
A general question really, but what can I expect from the used G4 Power Mac I just bought off eBay... Basically, I am hoping to run Protools, use Garageband, and iMovie. I'm a bit disappointed to learn that iMovie 08 won't work because it isn't an Intel processor. Aside from that, what can I expect from this Mac. Do you foresee me using Garageband without any hiccups? Will Protools run alright? Do you think I can do some decent video editing with the specs? Biggest question right now is, what in the heck is the ATTO Express PCI UL2D Ultra-2 SCSI Card? And what is it used for? Is iLife 06 a part of Leopard? Thanks for any responses... I'm really excited to have a mac of my own!

Below are the specs for my new machine.

This is a dual processor G4 1.25GHz Mirror Drive Macintosh desktop machine that includes:

- 2 GB Factory Installed RAM
- 200 GB Hard disk space (80GB factory installed drive, 120 GB after market drive)
- ATTO Express PCI UL2D Ultra-2 SCSI Card
- Built-in FireWire Ports (3) and USB 1.1 Ports (2)
- Upgraded 4 port USB 2.0 Card
- Upgraded Pioneer SuperDrive DVD burner
- ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB
- Built-in Ethernet
- *No* modem
- Apple DVI to VGA adapter
- Apple Keyboard and Pro Mouse
- OS X 10.5 Leopard and 10.2 Jaguar (with disks!)

This machine has served me very well and has no problems that I'm aware of. The corners of the SuperDrive drawer are a little bit rough due to being rounded off for installation in the MirrorDrive case, but it reads and writes with no issues.

I did had one instance where the mouse shut off with a "high voltage" message. Apple's solution was to plug the mouse into the other USB port on the keyboard. Since then it has behaved just fine.

The winner of the auction will receive the machine with a fresh installation of Leopard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iLife is not a part of Leopard. It is a separate application suite installed for free on new machines. You will most likely need to get the retail version of iLife.

As to iMovie, with iLife '08, you will be able to download iMovie '06, which most people seemed to like better anyway. iMovie '08 was dumbed down to make it easier.

If all is OK, you can expect to run as well as any 6 year old computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Bob said, a LOT of people like iMovie 06 better than 08. If you purchase Ilife 08 there is a download for iMovie 06 that will run on your machine.

That machine will run what you want pretty well. The only G4 system better is the Dual 1.42Ghz MDD. Same as yours with faster CPU's.

OP
C
Reaction score
Stolen?!

Wow... ookie dookie! Thanks for the positive vibes. Actually, before I purchased it I sent the guy a question and he responded back with an email address that contained his name. I then looked where the item was located, and googled his name and location. It seems he is quite reputable. He has a resume online, as well as many affiliations with local schools as a tech guy. I think I am okay. What a crappy thing to say. I was hoping for some sage advice, as the others before you had done.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just because one member here bought a stolen Mac from Ebay does not mean every Mac sold on Ebay is stolen. I have purchased a lot of Macs from Ebay and they were all legit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.