Start Up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook 2GB
Hi everyone. I have recently switched to a Mac and have a few questions regarding its operation.

Firstly, I have programs loading up at start up that I don't want to load up. How do I access my start up menu options?

Secondly, I can't find the folder that contains downloaded files.

Any help with these would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also, someone told me that the Mail program has a function which enables you to send mail at a different time to which you wrote it. For example, if I wrote an e-mail now that I wanted sending at 6am tomorrow morning, how could I send it without being at my PC at 6am tomorrow morning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Sorry forgot about your second, I found mine by either using finder (but later was recommended EasyFind (freeware) until I located it on my desktop and paid attention to where firefox or safari was downloading to ;)

Sorry can't help with mail but my guess would be to look in Mail -> preferences...

Hope that helps...

Secondly, I can't find the folder that contains downloaded files.

Any help with these would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also, someone told me that the Mail program has a function which enables you to send mail at a different time to which you wrote it. For example, if I wrote an e-mail now that I wanted sending at 6am tomorrow morning, how could I send it without being at my PC at 6am tomorrow morning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
If you go to Settings>Accounts and click on the Login Items button, it will show you a list of what is slated to start up when you log in. You can then add and delete from the list as you chose.

Regarding the Downloads folder, if you have it in a Stack, just click on it and then select Show in Finder. It will open the folder up for you. If you're looking for a path, I found my Downloads folder to be in:

Users>Your user name>Downloads.

Sorry to say I don't know the answer to your mail question, but I hope my other answers helped you out.

Sean

Reaction score
(Sorry, people replied while I was typing my message. Content is below anyway)

For the start-up items:
System preferences --> Accounts --> Your account --> Login Items
Select the items you do not which to load up, then press the delete button, or uncheck the box next to them to keep them but hide them at startup.

Downloaded files should be in "Downloads" which will be in your home folder. It may also be in the dock.
If you can't find it, click any blank space on your desktop, press cmd+shift+g and type "~/Downloads".
If this does not appear to be the correct folder, open your Safari preferences (assuming you are using Safari, and this is done by pressing cmd+, within Safari) and look at the "Save downloaded files to" setting.

For sending E-Mails at a different time, I don't believe that this is a built-in Mail feature, but it should be possible if you download and install this: http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/files/MailScripts.dmg
(Note I have not used that personally)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.