Switcher to be???

Reaction score
I know the following diatribe is nothing new to you folks in the Mac world any help would be appreciated......

Been using PCs for 25+ years, still have that love/hate relationship...now more hate than love!

Seriously thinking of a MacPro, but have years of info, docs. on pc based programs that I still need access to and use of. Don't know enough to say this, but I assume that running programs designed for Mac OS is better than running a pc program on the Mac (bootcamp?).

Programs:
Word (have heard that word for mac has issues; don't mind converting active templates and forms to a mac based program other than Word {I think}) Docs include Office 97? up to office 2007

Excel same as Word

P. Point

Quickbooks...also if I use QB f/Mac will my acctnt. still be able to work with my files on his PC? Do I want to use QB for mac???

Autocad viewers dwg & dwf

HP Plotters

I also have a bunch of specialty programs which i guess I can run somehow, I'm not sure if I want any MS OS on this setup.

As I have just started this process I haven't a clue how all this works.

One last question...for now...Where is the best place to buy a Mac if you are coming from the PC side; Best Buy (local to me but maybe not the best support), Apple retail store (2 hr drive but has business consultants and classes) or online from apple.

Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft Office programs are compatible on both platforms. No problem there.

Your other questions regarding Windows software and hardware - You can always install Windows on your new Mac and run all your programs natively.

My local Apple Store is only 10 minutes away, however, I have purchased items for my MacBook from a local Best Buy. I have found that (at least around here) it's difficult to find someone available at Best Buy who knows anything at all about Mac machines or OS X. Generally if anyone is around that's Mac knowledgeable it's usually on the weekends.

It should be OK to purchase a new Mac from Best Buy. You may want to also purchase apple care which you can get direct from Apple or at a less expensive cost elsewhere. (eBay) If your Mac should need repairs under warranty, you can take it back to Best Buy (who will send it on to Apple) or go to the Apple store which is 2 hours away.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
I was hoping to do away w/ office and maybe use something like Pages, but I would need to port my docs especially a few special templates w/mail merge to Pages or Iworks and have them work "seamlessly" as possible.

Our best buy has an Mac section staffed by an apple employee. That said, one guy can't work 24-7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I would say if you are gonna spend 1000+ dollars on a machine and you still have questions about it go to the apple retail store. If you want to they can transfer files from your old computer to your new mac or give you an overview of how to do it yourself. The employees at my Apple store were really helpful and also gave me multiple websites with info to make every aspect of "the switch" a smooth transition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.