time machine and trial version software...

Reaction score
If you are using trial software that reached its time limit, can you use time machine to go back in time so the trial software will work again? Not that I would do this, but I am just curious to know if it is possible. I am under the impression that time machine makes an exact copy of your drive...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The system date time is what trial ware usually uses to determine if the trial period has expired. Some trial versions are even smart enough to detect if the system date time has been reset. Restoring from Time Machine will have no effect.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Occassionally changing your system date and time works. Usually you have to do it while the trial is still good and you can buy a little extra time. Once it expires, you usually can't unexpire it.

You can also sometimes uninstall and reinstall to gain another 30 days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.