iPhone orientation broken??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Hi guys,

I got an iPhone today which i'm very excited about, only problem is that i think the self-orientation is broken. when i go into the ipod function it automatically goes to landscape mode with album art and wont go back, same thing happens with safari. This is really frustrating because i think i'm going to have to take it back and get a replacement! is there anything i can try to solve this problem? resetting to factory settings maybe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
You can try resetting it, but if the actual part is broken then it wouldn't do anything. Luckily they will replace it straight out at the Apple store, so there isn't any waiting.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can try resetting it, but if the actual part is broken then it wouldn't do anything. Luckily they will replace it straight out at the Apple store, so there isn't any waiting.

the nearest apple store is 40 minutes away annoyingly. do you think they'd replace it at the O2 store (network provider in the UK)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I don't know. I know that they will not replace the phones at the AT&T stores, as they specifically told me that if I had problems to go to the Apple store.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ohh i see. well, it's restoring right now, so if this doesnt work then i'll give the O2 store a visit tomorrow and then probably the apple store on saturday. thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Let us know what happens! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Don't know if this is related but:

If you place the phone on a flat surface and turn the phone to landscape the screen doesn't change. Doesn't mean the phone is broken.

If you pick up the phone straight with you looking at the screen right in front of you and you turn it then it turns to landscape mode.

Has to do with the accelerator thing. Does your problem happen all the time or only when the phone is "flat"?

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know if this is related but:

If you place the phone on a flat surface and turn the phone to landscape the screen doesn't change. Doesn't mean the phone is broken.

If you pick up the phone straight with you looking at the screen right in front of you and you turn it then it turns to landscape mode.

Has to do with the accelerator thing. Does your problem happen all the time or only when the phone is "flat"?

believe me i've tried every possible way there is of turning it.lol. if i hold it in front of me, completely vertical, go to the ipod feature and it switches just like that. i then turn it to landscape (and it doesnt change obviously), leave it for a few seconds, then turn it back to portrait and nothing happens... tilt the top towards and away from me a bit as you sometimes have to i've experienced, and still no change. thanks for the tip though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.