17" MBP LCD Problem

Reaction score
Hey guys / gals,

All of a sudden my MBP's LCD has started to do some bizarre things. It has happened 3 times now. Once when I first powered it up and twice when I am in the middle of using it (being a DJ, this isn't the best thing to have happen during a set), the LCD goes haywire.

WTFLcd.jpg

Has anyone had this happen?

Cheers!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is a known problem with the NVIDIA 8600M graphics chip in the later model MacBook Pros. If yours has the NVIDIA chip, I'd be willing to bet that this is related. Is it still under warranty?

OP
N
Reaction score
The display adapter is actually a ATI Mobility Radeon X1600.

The Macbook was purchased in 2006 and has already been through a logic board repair (broken keyboard clip on the board). I sent it to DTT Service for repair.

It came back from the clip repair with some new problems; intermittent white noise static out of the right speaker and now this display problem.

Any idea's?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like they used a bad part or did shoddy work. I would call Apple. There's not much you can do that wouldn't involve opening the machine and replacing components. If it came back from a depot repair with new problems, I'd ask that they stand behind their work.

OP
N
Reaction score
That is what I was worried about. I am in Canada, and the only option I could find was to ship it to the states for repair (which is a complete gong show with all the customs crap you have to deal with).

I will contact apple and see what they recommend and also contact the repair place to see if they will stand behind their repairs.

Thanks for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.