I uninstalled Safari, but still wants to update. How do I...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I tossed Safari, but OS X keeps asking me to install updates for it. In general, is it possible to tell the software updater to stop looking for updates for specific apps ? It's kind of annoying to keep getting notified about things I don't have installed (or so I thought).

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Uninstalling Safari is generally not the best idea in the world... a lot of apps use webkit to display webpages within the apps themselves and any settings you want to change in webkit you need to change in Safari.

An example: Disable cookies in Safari and web login windows in most apps won't work (e.g. if you need to authorize a photo hosting service from within iPhoto).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I tossed Safari, but OS X keeps asking me to install updates for it. ... It's kind of annoying to keep getting notified about things I don't have installed

True, but you do have the simple option of deselecting the offered update.

For example, once an update notification arrives, I almost inevitably click on each and every item to get the general info about it. I neither need nor want anything to do with iPhones, or iChat, and I seldom update iTunes. I don't use Safari other than a reference point (like its Prefs) so I don't accept its updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ditto to hughvane's advice. Go to the Apple web site and download latest version and just leave it in Applications and use Firefox.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
True, but you do have the simple option of deselecting the offered update.

For example, once an update notification arrives, I almost inevitably click on each and every item to get the general info about it. I neither need nor want anything to do with iPhones, or iChat, and I seldom update iTunes. I don't use Safari other than a reference point (like its Prefs) so I don't accept its updates.

Well sure, that's pretty much what I do, but it's a bit annoying to have to de-select updates all the time. I'd rather just be able to tell OS X somehow to permanently disregard the nagging app updates of my choice. Is there no way to do this ? As for Firefox, it's what I use, and have not had any problems with Safari being gone. I do not use iPhoto either, so it has not been an issue thus far.

Reaction score
When you do a software update, click on Safari or whatever, and in the menubar there should be an "Ignore this update" item.
It'll ask you "are you sure". You can always go back and enable it later if you want.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you do a software update, click on Safari or whatever, and in the menubar there should be an "Ignore this update" item.
It'll ask you "are you sure". You can always go back and enable it later if you want.

Ah, fantastic thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm not on the Mac now, so hopefully this will work when I log on again. This will also save me from useless iTunes (which I don't use, since I prefer Play) updates that hog so much space time after time.

doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.