Very new to Macs, help please

Reaction score
Just inherited an imacG4 (i think) from my father in law after my old PC finally died.
My internet connection currently uses a Speedtouch USB router...i dont seem to have any probs but have read USB is a bit of a no, no with Macs.

Looking thourhg the components, it doesnt appear to have an Aiport card or Bluetooth utility installed....

...question is, is it easy to install an Aiport Card?

What other kit do I need to set up a wireless station? Airport Base station or similar?

Would i be better off just getting a router with an ethernet connection on it as my PC (sorry, MAC) never moves from my office and I dont really use other devices wirelessly.

I think I'm liking the Mac but it takes some gettin used to compared to 28 years of Windows based PC use and never having even sat in front of a Mac before!

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Well, God bless your father in law.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Will see if I can pick one up off eBay and get it installed.

Reaction score
G4 iMacs models used either the original Airport Cards or the newer Airport Extreme cards - so make sure you determine which one your iMac takes before buying :)

When you boot the iMac, select "About This Mac" from the Apple menu to see which model iMac you have. I believe 1GHz or faster G4 iMacs use the Airport Extreme Card and the 700 & 800MHz models use the older card.

Good Luck!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs on that iMac G4? Screen size? CPU Speed? Just want to be sure you get the right card. There is the older Airport and newer Airport Extreme. The later models used the Airport Extreme.

OP
W
Reaction score
It's it's the older 800mhz, 512MB SDRAM, 15" monitor, looking at the specs on it.

As it never leaves my office, would I be just as well off getting a router and connecting it with an ethernet cable?

I have no other wireless devices in the house and just reckon that setting up the connections and security measures to stop my neighbours logging on might be a bit of a hassle compared to just pluggin in an ethernet cable.

My current router doesnt have an ethernet connection. Do Macs use the same ethernet connections as PCs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As was already said, yes, standard network port. I have a feeling yours uses a older Airport card. You can find them on Ebay and elsewhere on the net.

Yes you can get a router with ports (all I have seen have 4 or so Ethernet ports) and plug it in wired also.

Profile: 15" iMac G4/800 MHz

For sure yours uses the old Airport card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"
Quick tip. Try your local craigslist for an airport card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.