Playing CS: Source on my MBP.

Reaction score
Hello.

I recently purchased my first ever macbook pro, and I absolutely love it. I got the new one with the Geforce GT card and 4g ram. I'm extremely satisfied with how it runs, but I decided to run bootcamp and install XP so that I could play Source whenever I had some spare time..and sometimes because I just love it. Well, everything was great. The game works on max at 60+ fps, and runs very smooth. However, I got so worried because my laptop was getting really heavy under the hood. I used fanspeed to note how hot my Lappy was, and it came to like 88C at one point. Very worrying.

I deleted the partition but a few days later I gave in, missing Source, and gave it another go. This time I installed smccontrol and had the fans go much harder to cool the system down. As a result, Source would lock up for a few seconds every now and then whilst playing making it completely unplayable. I deleted my partition, and after reading about it on the Internet, some people don't worry about the heat, some try and run the fans, and some dont even try just in case it damages their MBP in the longterm.

Opinions, suggestions, and general thoughts?

L

leedmellow

I have the 2.8 Dual core version, have installed XP Pro on a 32gb NTFS
partition.

When running LOTRO the GPU temperature sits around 75-85 degrees C and quite often hits the 90 degree threshold and reboots the machine.

So far, I have no solution, my question would be; does it get to the same temperature on Mac OS?

I havent been able to test on my own machine as i dont have anything that is graphically intensive on the Mac side.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you using it on your lap, or on a hard surface (like a table top)?

L

leedmellow

On my lap, have not really tried on a hard surface/Table.

Didnt think it would make much difference as there are no fans on the bottom or holes to expel the hot air....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most computer manufacturers have actually started to get away from the term "laptop" to describe their portables. Instead, you'll here them referred to as "notebooks". There's a good reason for this - modern computer components run really hot as you well know, and since the space with which the manufacturers have to work with is extremely limited, even the case is used for thermal management. So although it's probably OK to use the computer on your lap for casual use, it's not recommended for hardcore gaming. Using it on a hard surface will allow air to circulate under the machine and help the aluminum enclosure to better dissipate heat.

Apple actually has a support document out there that specifically addresses this issue, wherein they recommend that you either use the machine on a table top or use a laptop cooling pad if you must have it on your lap.

Apple Portables: Operating temperature

L

leedmellow

Thanks for that, I will try it tonight on my desk instead of on my lap and see how it goes.

Any reccommendations on the laptop cooling pads?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's a ton of them out there. If you do a search on Amazon, you'll see at least a few dozen - but most of them have fans built in that require a USB port. I think I would look at one without the fans as it should run acceptably as long as air can flow beneath it.

Reaction score
The game works on max at 60+ fps, and runs very smooth. However, I got so worried because my laptop was getting really heavy under the hood. I used fanspeed to note how hot my Lappy was, and it came to like 88C at one point. Very worrying.
When I play games the MBP is around 80ºC and I think it is normal. Which MBP model do you exactly have ? I have the late 08 model with 512 VRAM and I have 150+ fps !?

L

leedmellow

80 isn't normal, thats too hot, its going to cook your GPU and posibbly some other components, not to mention burn your hands & legs.

Anyways ... I've finally managed to sort this out, Installed a little app called
'smcFanControl' v2.1.3.1 on Mac OSX, set the fan speeds manually to 4100
rpm, rebooted into XP now the GPU temp stays at 65 or so. They go upto about 6000rpm to.

Only problem is if you want to change the fan speed you then have to boot
back into Mac OSX to do so, but still, at least its saving me from frying my
GPU and my legs.

And why the fans don't kick in properly on the windows drivers i do not
know.

:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As cwa pointed out, running your MB or MBP sitting on your lap, particularly during CPU or GPU intensive apps is not the way to go. You are effectively blocking the air flow of your machine. On both machines, air is pulled in and pushed out through the rear of the machine along the hinge. If you are blocking this vent, even partially, it really won't matter how fast you have the fans spinning as they'll just be recirculating the trapped heated air.

I have an iLap (no fans) and over the course of a couple of years has been plenty adequate for using it on my lap, on the carpet, or laying on the bed. But, there are plenty of others out there to choose from.

As for temps, you're going to see 65-70 (75 on occasion) and 6000 rpm (at least in OS X) without SMCFancontrol. I used it when I first switched and under Tiger. Have never installed it since moving to Leopard. Just did about a 10 hour straight session of WoW last weekend, sitting in that range pretty much the entire time and have no issues.

L

leedmellow

Well without me installing SMCFanControl, the fans simply wouldnt kick in when booted into XP, therefore when it had been running LOTRO/WoW for about 20 mins or so, it would hit 90 degrees and shutdown.

Having my MBP on my lap or on the desk made absolutely no difference in this instance, although I do agree with you that it is best used on a hard surface to increase the airflow around it etc, it was in no way linked the problem I was having.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
If your fans do not come on at all without the use of an external app, then something is wrong. In XP my MBP does run hotter than in OS X, but My fans do come on and rather loudly during gaming.

It is not uncommon for my laptop to see 90 degrees Celsius during gaming, but this is not uncommon for laptops. Nor is it a temp they can not handle. Just do not roast your boys. But I would double check your fans if I were you. They should come on without the use of SMCFan Control.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your fans do not come on at all without the use of an external app, then something is wrong. In XP my MBP does run hotter than in OS X, but My fans do come on and rather loudly during gaming.

It is not uncommon for my laptop to see 90 degrees Celsius during gaming, but this is not uncommon for laptops. Nor is it a temp they can not handle. Just do not roast your boys. But I would double check your fans if I were you. They should come on without the use of SMCFan Control.

Exactly, same thing here.

Reaction score
80 isn't normal, thats too hot, its going to cook your GPU and posibbly some other components, not to mention burn your hands & legs.
I don't think 80 C is too if you do something that requires a lot of GPU processing.

If you touch the GPU it self you'd get burned but the notebook itself is not at 80C.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.