PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, I needs me a new phone and you can help me choose!

Derek McNelly
11-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I know I posted a thread about haggling earlier, but my attempts seem to have failed.

T-Mobile wants $450 for a BlackBerry Curve, which seems a bit ridiculous.

I found a Nokia N95 for $370, which is my current front runner, but I also found an HTC S621 for $300.

The big thing for the N95 is the Camera and the Multimedia player, but it lacks a QWERTY keyboard, which I've grown used to.

The S261 has a full keyboard and Windows Mobile (which can be a good or bad thing), but the camera is only 1.3 megapixels with what is probably a lousy lens.

Basically, I'm weighing the pros and cons of the N95 and the HTC set, and I'd like your input.

I've made it a poll, but other suggestions are welcome!

NOTE: I am not canceling my contract to get an iPhone. I do not care for it, nor do I care for the cost of AT&T's plans.

BlueMac
11-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Get a Palm Centro

Derek McNelly
11-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Get a Palm Centro

While not a bad suggestion by any means, my iPod is dying and my phone lacks a camera. If I can consolidate three gadgets down to one, that would probably be the ultimate solution.

get a cheap phone with no data plan, save the money and move out of your dangerous neighborhood. ;P

*shakes fist*

eric
11-18-2008, 07:08 PM
get a cheap phone with no data plan, save the money and move out of your dangerous neighborhood. ;P

Audio.Trench
11-18-2008, 07:12 PM
HTC - High-Tech Crap

BlueMac
11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
While not a bad suggestion by any means, my iPod is dying and my phone lacks a camera. If I can consolidate three gadgets down to one, that would probably be the ultimate solution.

I believe it has all those features

BlueMac
11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
HTC - High-Tech Crap

HAHA.

eric
11-18-2008, 07:14 PM
*shakes fist*

HA!

;P

how'd you travel though time to post it before i did?

Derek McNelly
11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
HTC - High-Tech Crap

I knew that was coming from you. :P

I believe it has all those features

Well, it does, but the camera is only 1.3 MP, there's no 3.5mm headphone jack, and I'm not too fond of the Palm OS.

HA!

;P

how'd you travel though time to post it before i did?

I didn't! The board must have glitched out.

ViriiGuy
11-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Why not just buy an iPhone. It has a camera, is a phone AND an iPod. Plus GPS and everything else you can imagine.

Derek McNelly
11-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Why not just buy an iPhone. It has a camera, is a phone AND an iPod. Plus GPS and everything else you can imagine.

It would also require me to shell out:

$200 Early Termination Fee to T-Mobile
$200 for iPhone
$100 a month for service

Plus, AT&T has some of the crappiest customer service I've ever had. There's a reason I went to T-Mobile.

ViriiGuy
11-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally when I posted. prior to seeing your earlier statement as to not buying one :D

What I meant was buy one and a sim unlocker card. Then use it on T-Mobile's service. But still prolly more than you want to spend.

At least you are not stuck with Roger's service!! We can't even get 3G yet.

Derek McNelly
11-18-2008, 07:28 PM
What I meant was buy one and a sim unlocker card. Then use it on T-Mobile's service. But still prolly more than you want to spend.

Plus the SIM unlocker cards are kinda patchy when it comes to whether they work or not.

PapaNoHair
11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Are there times when you indecisive?

kylen721
11-18-2008, 08:40 PM
I was just looking at t-mobile phones and the new samsung behold looks kind of neat. it is touch screen, mp3, and 5mp camera.. I have a first gen iphone unlocked on t-mobile but I am thinking about buying the samsung just for fun to see how it stacks up. I would love the 5mp camera on it.

Derek McNelly
11-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Are there times when you indecisive?

Quite often, actually.

WakeCarver
11-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I voted other because I don't really like any of those phones. I was going to suggest the iPhone but that was before I read your whole post. Good luck with your decision though.

Audio.Trench
11-19-2008, 01:40 AM
I knew that was coming from you. :P

Just going by experience, my friend :)

cuhnool
11-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Please don't quit T-Mobile. My mother has been with them since '99 and she's loved it since, and I got my first phone when I was 14, never wanted a different phone besides one that T-Mobile offered. I loved the Motorola phones! Their service has been excellent, as well as customer support.

I use a sidekick, and I have grown so into the shortcuts and OS of the phone, I am afraid to switch back to a different OS.

Anyways, I marked the HTC, regardless of the "high tech crap".

I would have marked "other" and told you sidekick ;D

(you know it's funny. My friend has AT&T and he doesn't even get service in his room, and I have T-Mobile and I was out in the middle of no where in West Virginia and I had service. Sure, I got a couple dropped calls every now and then, but this is the middle of no where were talking about!!)

Aptmunich
11-19-2008, 02:22 AM
If I didn't have an iPhone, I'd probably be looking at Sony Ericsson's offerings or a Blackberry...

cuhnool
11-19-2008, 02:32 AM
If I didn't have an iPhone, I'd probably be looking at Sony Ericsson's offerings or a Blackberry...

Ericssons are cool, but I thought they didn't use T-Mobile's service? I could be wrong, I'm not sure.

Eric559
11-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Samsung Behold <3

Derek McNelly
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
People seem to be in favor of the most expensive handset on the list.

Oh boy. You folks have expensive taste!

cwa107
11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
The Blackberry Storm looks pretty hot, but of course, it's exclusive to Verizon for the time being.

Have you considered the G1?

Audio.Trench
11-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I'd just avoid the Sidekick like the plague.. Having worked for T-Mobile, I can't count how many of those I had to do swaps/replacements for.

If you're in the market for a SmartPhone, stick with a Blackberry-made product. Seeing as how they've pretty much pioneered the technology already, you know you're going to get a reliable/stable device.

Also, iPhones can be had for a lot cheaper than they used to, just buy an unlocked one (or do it yourself), and bring it to T-Mobile. I've talked to lots of people who've done that when I worked for them.

The Blackberry Storm is a sexy looking phone. I personally would prefer one over the iPhone, and I cannot wait til Telus gets them soon!

Tarek
11-19-2008, 01:05 PM
I thought it was called HTC S620 lmao. Anyway, that phone is one of the BEST I've ever held in my life. It has everything, its WiFi is even better than the Tytn II's, and you will not notice much of a difference between its camera and all 2 MP cameras. But the Nokia N95 (8gb) seems to be your best choice and is currently the best Nokia phone there is, besides the E71i and E90. So it all depends, if you want a better camera then go for N95, if not, then go for HTC S620. It's pretty nice.

PapaNoHair
11-19-2008, 02:18 PM
If it were me (and I am going thru the same process), I would first 1) eliminate carriers based upon weak signal strength. If the signal strength is not good it does not matter how great the phone is, 2) Make a list of features I need (first) and then another list (second) of features I want and compare those lists to the phones those ISP's that are left have. I would then pick my phone based mainly upon list #1 being met (most anyway). List #2 would be looked at as a bonus if any are achieved. I doubt if you will get all you want in any phone.

Derek McNelly
11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
I thought it was called HTC S620 lmao. Anyway, that phone is one of the BEST I've ever held in my life. It has everything, its WiFi is even better than the Tytn II's, and you will not notice much of a difference between its camera and all 2 MP cameras. But the Nokia N95 (8gb) seems to be your best choice and is currently the best Nokia phone there is, besides the E71i and E90. So it all depends, if you want a better camera then go for N95, if not, then go for HTC S620. It's pretty nice.

Yeah, the camera and media player functions are really important to me.

Have you considered the G1?

I actually had a G1. Had to send it back a week after I got it because the hinge was starting to fail on me.

If it were me (and I am going thru the same process), I would first 1) eliminate carriers based upon weak signal strength. If the signal strength is not good it does not matter how great the phone is, 2) Make a list of features I need (first) and then another list (second) of features I want and compare those lists to the phones those ISP's that are left have. I would then pick my phone based mainly upon list #1 being met (most anyway). List #2 would be looked at as a bonus if any are achieved. I doubt if you will get all you want in any phone.

Well, I'm already with T-Mobile, and I love it. I wouldn't leave.

And I actually have made the two lists of needs and wants, and these phones meet them fairly equally.

These phones are the ones that met my needs, but the N95 is the front runner because it has such a good camera along with an awesome media player, which are the two most important things on my want list.

Audio.Trench
11-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I voted for the Curve. Mainly for the fact that, it uses a standard 3.5mm Headphone jack, so if you're like me with a sweet pair of Skullcandy's (or other good headphones), you can use that for movies/music.

It also has a camera, which a lot of other Blackberry models don't have. Like most smartphones, it has expandable memory, again for the purpose of media (pics, movies, music, and applications).

Not to mention the Blackberry OS's interface kills Windows Mobile 6 by a long-shot.

Now, Windows Mobile is definitely useful, but it can get quit sluggish at times. I found myself constantly ending apps using the "Task Manager" so that it would free up system RAM and make the phone run quicker, as well as not drain the battery so much.

I've had my S720 replaced 3 times, and I ended up canceling my contract with them, and went Pay-As-You-Go, for the time being.

Derek McNelly
11-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I voted for the Curve. Mainly for the fact that, it uses a standard 3.5mm Headphone jack, so if you're like me with a sweet pair of Skullcandy's (or other good headphones), you can use that for movies/music.

It also has a camera, which a lot of other Blackberry models don't have. Like most smartphones, it has expandable memory, again for the purpose of media (pics, movies, music, and applications).

Not to mention the Blackberry OS's interface kills Windows Mobile 6 by a long-shot.

Now, Windows Mobile is definitely useful, but it can get quit sluggish at times. I found myself constantly ending apps using the "Task Manager" so that it would free up system RAM and make the phone run quicker, as well as not drain the battery so much.

I've had my S720 replaced 3 times, and I ended up canceling my contract with them, and went Pay-As-You-Go, for the time being.

See, the only problem I have with the Blackberry is that T-Mobile wants $450 for one, and when I can an N95 for $370, I'm really leaning that direction.

The N95 runs on Symbian OS, so I don't have Windows mobile to worry about, it also has a 3.5mm headphone jack, along with dedicated media keys and a 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics. The only real downside to the N95 is the lack of a QWERTY keyboard, which I'm sure I'd get used to again.

cuhnool
11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
That's how I am with getting a new phone. I only want one that has a QWERTY keyboard. I will never ever go back to using a keypad.

Audio.Trench
11-19-2008, 07:59 PM
See, the only problem I have with the Blackberry is that T-Mobile wants $450 for one, and when I can an N95 for $370, I'm really leaning that direction.

The N95 runs on Symbian OS, so I don't have Windows mobile to worry about, it also has a 3.5mm headphone jack, along with dedicated media keys and a 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics. The only real downside to the N95 is the lack of a QWERTY keyboard, which I'm sure I'd get used to again.

All you need to do is buy an unlocked Curve for cheaper.. Don't pay the full price for it.

AirAddict
11-19-2008, 08:09 PM
htc diamond

milessthomas
11-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Wait a few more weeks and see if they get the Blackberry Storm!

Lol. I don't know if they will but I love that phone. I'm switching to Verizon for it (as well as because ATT won't replace my broken blackjack and the service sucks here)

Maccy
11-20-2008, 07:32 AM
Blackberry 8800/8820 are pretty good phones to consider.

Tarek
11-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah, the camera and media player functions are really important to me.

I actually had a G1. Had to send it back a week after I got it because the hinge was starting to fail on me.

Well, I'm already with T-Mobile, and I love it. I wouldn't leave.

And I actually have made the two lists of needs and wants, and these phones meet them fairly equally.

These phones are the ones that met my needs, but the N95 is the front runner because it has such a good camera along with an awesome media player, which are the two most important things on my want list.

AT&T is the worst signal ever. Anyway, if you like camera and media then you should definitely go ahead and buy a Nokia N95 (8gb) not the silver 2GB one because it's much better, smaller in size, and looks nicer.

Derek McNelly
11-20-2008, 11:40 AM
AT&T is the worst signal ever. Anyway, if you like camera and media then you should definitely go ahead and buy a Nokia N95 (8gb) not the silver 2GB one because it's much better, smaller in size, and looks nicer.

Well, I found a great deal on the silver one, and I already have quite a few micro SD cards just kickin' around, so on the memory front I'll be fine, plus I like the way the silver one looks. I think it's purdy.