• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ugh, I needs me a new phone and you can help me choose!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I know I posted a thread about haggling earlier, but my attempts seem to have failed.

T-Mobile wants $450 for a BlackBerry Curve, which seems a bit ridiculous.

I found a Nokia N95 for $370, which is my current front runner, but I also found an HTC S621 for $300.

The big thing for the N95 is the Camera and the Multimedia player, but it lacks a QWERTY keyboard, which I've grown used to.

The S261 has a full keyboard and Windows Mobile (which can be a good or bad thing), but the camera is only 1.3 megapixels with what is probably a lousy lens.

Basically, I'm weighing the pros and cons of the N95 and the HTC set, and I'd like your input.

I've made it a poll, but other suggestions are welcome!

NOTE: I am not canceling my contract to get an iPhone. I do not care for it, nor do I care for the cost of AT&T's plans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Get a Palm Centro

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get a Palm Centro

While not a bad suggestion by any means, my iPod is dying and my phone lacks a camera. If I can consolidate three gadgets down to one, that would probably be the ultimate solution.

get a cheap phone with no data plan, save the money and move out of your dangerous neighborhood. ;P

*shakes fist*

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
get a cheap phone with no data plan, save the money and move out of your dangerous neighborhood. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
While not a bad suggestion by any means, my iPod is dying and my phone lacks a camera. If I can consolidate three gadgets down to one, that would probably be the ultimate solution.

I believe it has all those features

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Why not just buy an iPhone. It has a camera, is a phone AND an iPod. Plus GPS and everything else you can imagine.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not just buy an iPhone. It has a camera, is a phone AND an iPod. Plus GPS and everything else you can imagine.

It would also require me to shell out:

$200 Early Termination Fee to T-Mobile
$200 for iPhone
$100 a month for service

Plus, AT&T has some of the crappiest customer service I've ever had. There's a reason I went to T-Mobile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Originally when I posted. prior to seeing your earlier statement as to not buying one :D

What I meant was buy one and a sim unlocker card. Then use it on T-Mobile's service. But still prolly more than you want to spend.

At least you are not stuck with Roger's service!! We can't even get 3G yet.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I meant was buy one and a sim unlocker card. Then use it on T-Mobile's service. But still prolly more than you want to spend.

Plus the SIM unlocker cards are kinda patchy when it comes to whether they work or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
I was just looking at t-mobile phones and the new samsung behold looks kind of neat. it is touch screen, mp3, and 5mp camera.. I have a first gen iphone unlocked on t-mobile but I am thinking about buying the samsung just for fun to see how it stacks up. I would love the 5mp camera on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I voted other because I don't really like any of those phones. I was going to suggest the iPhone but that was before I read your whole post. Good luck with your decision though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Please don't quit T-Mobile. My mother has been with them since '99 and she's loved it since, and I got my first phone when I was 14, never wanted a different phone besides one that T-Mobile offered. I loved the Motorola phones! Their service has been excellent, as well as customer support.

I use a sidekick, and I have grown so into the shortcuts and OS of the phone, I am afraid to switch back to a different OS.

Anyways, I marked the HTC, regardless of the "high tech crap".

I would have marked "other" and told you sidekick ;D

(you know it's funny. My friend has AT&T and he doesn't even get service in his room, and I have T-Mobile and I was out in the middle of no where in West Virginia and I had service. Sure, I got a couple dropped calls every now and then, but this is the middle of no where were talking about!!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If I didn't have an iPhone, I'd probably be looking at Sony Ericsson's offerings or a Blackberry...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.