Selecting between two base stations

Reaction score
I've recently added a linksys range expander to our wireless network to reach to two computers at the laggy end of our network. We have 4 computers in different spots around our house... and the only one that can't make up it's mind about which base station to connect to is my mac of course. my computer is one of the computers that does not need the expander and yet it insists on trying to connect to it despite it not once succeeding.

So I was wondering if I could set the macbook to connect specifically to the belkin router and ignore the expander. I set up our dell to do just that using the linksys software, which isn't compatible with os x, but which leads me to believe(hope) that there is a way to do it.

The router and expander share the same ssid and the macbook doesn't seem to draw distinction between the two base stations in internet connect. It seems to randomly pick one of the base station IDs to connect to every time I turn airport off and back on.

A short list of things I've already tried:
-Perpetually turning airport on and off until it decides to connect to the correct base station. (works until I put the computer to sleep)
-deleting some plist internet config files my sister told me about. (hasn't changed anything)
-Unplugging expander, deleting and reestablishing connection to the router. (works until I put the computer to sleep)
-assigning a static ip (not sure why I thought that would work...)

Any ideas would be much appreciated, and if any other specific information would help just let me know and I can provide it asap. Sorry for the wall of text, I'm not great at being concise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.