Ibook dirty above the battery ?

G

gurugeek

My almost new Ibook 900 (bough last may) is getting strangely dirty one left side of the trackpad, on all the above battery area. Sort of black thingy ...L form.

Is this happening to you too ? I tried to clean it with different gizmo's at no avail.

Please let me know if this is a common problem/issue or me being dumb.

Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
gurugeek said:
My almost new Ibook 900 (bough last may) is getting strangely dirty one left side of the trackpad, on all the above battery area. Sort of black thingy ...L form.

Is this happening to you too ? I tried to clean it with different gizmo's at no avail.

Please let me know if this is a common problem/issue or me being dumb.

Thanks a lot.

This may sound dumb, but is it possible that they are marks left from where your hands/wrists rest while typing? Mine doesn't have any of the marks you describe, but then again, it's only a few months old.

OP
M

matttischler

Yeah, I have noticed this same problem to an extent, and I have only had my iBook for less than a month. My friend has another iBook and he hasn't noticed this problem. I have concluded that it could deal with how acidic your hands are, not necessarily how dirty they are. If it were dirt, it could be wiped off. However, it seems as if the skin has worn in on the plastic. Or something like that.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

matttischler said:
Yeah, I have noticed this same problem to an extent, and I have only had my iBook for less than a month. My friend has another iBook and he hasn't noticed this problem. I have concluded that it could deal with how acidic your hands are, not necessarily how dirty they are. If it were dirt, it could be wiped off. However, it seems as if the skin has worn in on the plastic. Or something like that.
not sure how close of an issue this could be but the older ibooks were clear plastic that was simply painted from the inside could it be that there has been enough force applied to make internals rub and cause the paint to wear away perhaps ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.