Boot Camp : You must update your system software before using this setup assistant

joz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac, 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1.5 MB RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 Video Card
Recently got macbook and tried to run boot camp to install XP, to try and play Left 4 Dead.

Anyway, when I run I get a You must update your system software before using this setup assistant.' error, I have ran the software update and downloaded every single update for my macbook and it still pops up.

I have had a look around the net and tried a few different solutions such as making sure journaling is enabling on my hard drive.

Any tips people?

Reaction score
I just registered on here to reply and say that I had the same problem, however mid registration I got mine to work....

I had just rebuilt this laptop this morning, and in doing so I had setup 2 partitions with the intent of one of these being Vista Boot Camp partition, however for whatever reason I formatted both of the drives as extended journaled.... I ran into this error when trying to launch Boot Camp Assistant, however I then went into Disk Utility and erased the 40 gig partion that I had set asside for Boot Camp, and reformatted it with the DOS file system. As soon as I relaunced Boot Camp, I no longer had this error and I am currently installing Vista on Boot Camp.

Hope this is the same for you!

Reaction score
Boot Camp Error: update system software before using

I have this same problem. When I open Boot Camp Assistant, I click continue, and it tells me it cannot be used and that I need to update my system software.
I updated everything I could, updated all firmware, but it's still giving me that message.
I'm trying to set it up for XP, and I haven't put in any partitions yet.

Any suggestions?

Mac Pro 10.5.6
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Reaction score
I get the same error message as well,
"Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used. You must update your system software before using this setup assistant."

I have a mac pro,
Mac Pro 10.5.6
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

I don't know what to do,
any help??

thanks!!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you by chance trying to install XP SP3? If so, it won't work. You need a SP2 disc after which you have to update Boot Camp so you can install SP3.

Reaction score
Actually, BC will install from an XP SP3 disc. Bunch of other threads on that (I know because I asserted for a long time that you couldn't but was proven wrong!)

But their issue is happening when trying to run BC, before the install. Try inserting your Leopard disc, find Boot Camp assistant on it, and run it from there (or reinstall it on your Mac). That should work. Sometimes funky things happen to BCA on the Macs - when I went to run BC the first time, it wasn't even in my utilities folder! Try it from the disk or reinstalling it, and see what happens.

Reaction score
bump.

I successfully installed Ubuntu using Boot Camp. Then I changed my mind and wanted XP. But I cannot remove the linux partitions and Boot Camp has gone mentalist on me. It gives the message as titled in thread.

I have tried this with XP SP2 and Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04. NO go.

I have tried erasing the partitions in DU by reformatting as DOS. This works.

But I cannot remove them.

I get the message "preparing to remove volume" and the barber's stick stripes, but then nothing. The longest I have waited is 3 hours. Surely more than enough time to prepare the removal of a partition?

I bought my iMac (intel, 10.5.7) 2nd hand and only have Macbook System disks, which don't work either.

Any advice?

UPDATE - I got hold of a system disk and ran Disk Utility from there - same result - waited for an hour of "Preparing to Remove volume" and nothing happened.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read through this thread: Link

Pay special attention to the last post and how he finally got everything back in order after the Ubuntu disaster.

Hopefully you can apply the same solution.

Regards.

Reaction score
The Bootcamp error message that the system software must be updated is solved by enabling journaling on the target volume. This can be done easily in disk utility in Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
The Bootcamp error message that the system software must be updated is solved by enabling journaling on the target volume. This can be done easily in disk utility in Snow Leopard.

hello,

I have taken a screenshot of my error, here it is. I tried to go into disk utility, and enable journaling, it was greyed out.

It seems to already be enabled, and i do not see a way to disable it.

Either way, I need it enabled; and if it is enabled why am I getting the following error? Do i need to reformat my drive?

Thanks for the help

Screen shot 2010-11-10 at 3.58.11 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The error you're receiving indicates that there is not enough contiguous space on your drive to create a Boot Camp partition. The easiest way to solve this without buying a third party utility is to do this:

Make a backup of your MacIntosh HD using Time Machine. Reinstall OS X using your original install media. During the reinstall use your Time Machine backup to restore. Afterward, you should be able to use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a Windows partition.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

But I thought there was a way to fix this problem without having to reformat my drive? is there another way?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.